42 special V 346xp or 550xp

ally

The estate my farm is on has paid off the forestry staff , leaving the tenants to deal with fallen trees on their own now .

I like the 42 I`ve got but have only been dealing with large limbs at most , not whole trees which the 42 will struggle with . Would I notice a big difference with a 346/550 or need something more powerful and what size of bar ? . I`ll keep the 42 for small stuff anyway .

Cheers

The 42 is a lovely little saw, and when running side by side a 242, it isn't as far behind as I expected them to be.

You'd notice a definite increase in power going up to either the 346 or the 550, the 550 being even more poky than the 346 but feeling fairly similar to the 42 in handling.

If it was me though, the difference in power wouldn't be massive so I'd be looking at omething a bit bigger maybe. Depends on sort of size stuff you'll be looking to cut and how often.

FWIW, I usually run my 550 on a 13" but it will happily pull 15" in hardwood at a reasonable pace. If I needed bigger bar I'd be reaching for a bigger saw, but that's me.

It would be occasional use really , I`m sure a good secondhand one would be good enough for me but on the other hand I can claim the VAT back on a new one , so maybe not much of a difference . Something like a 346 or 550 would be within budget .

I wouldn`t be doing any felling but I`m sure the 42 would struggle a bit with a fully grown fallen sycamore or ash . The forestry guys would come in and deal with the trunk and leave the rest for me to clear up , so was thinking of something that could handle the full tree without being too unwieldy or heavy .

Cheers

It would be occasional use really , I`m sure a good secondhand one would be good enough for me but on the other hand I can claim the VAT back on a new one , so maybe not much of a difference . Something like a 346 or 550 would be within budget .

Your use seems to be the same as mine. I bought a 550 and I have found pretty much ideal.

However, bear in mind that if you get a bad one, even the bigger dealers may struggle to fix it quickly. I'm still waiting to get mine back. :sad: