I-dent on Beech please

num83r13

I still call it hypoxylon small h. All respect to Mr/s. Kretzschmar. Note the black knobbly stuff shows the advanced stage of the rot, but it is in the sinuses and no tso much in the supporting wood. In another location, reduction and monitoring and even guying may be apropo. Over a road, retention is a harder sell.

I subbed a maple with that knobbly stuff to a friend, telling him to rig using adjacent trees. He opted not to, and cut one side off. Then he climbed out the other side, and his weight alone caused the entire tree to uproot. He and the tree bounced off a roof and hit the ground. Full recovery thank god but he is now quite aware of the black knobbly stuff in any tree.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Identification would be appreciated, on a fairly large Beech which is weighted towards a busy main rd within 4m from trunk of tree.

Thanks.

Looks like you have an ident and good advice, I'd still be interested to see pictures of the crown to see if it shows any symtoms, just out of general interst.

Hi Catweazel,

The fruiting bodies were all around the trunk up to about 1.5m and I found that initially worrying, the 2 ribs on the tension side indicated a weakness and probably an underlying crack that I thought would impact on the stuctural integrity of the primary fork at 5m.

There was some peripheral canopy dieback but very little. Kretzschmaria doesn,t seem to impact on the canopy until the latter stages, I suppose the vascular system in this tree is still largely unaffected.

The buttress root to the left was completely decayed. I thought about a Static load test and reduction as a tree nearby was scheduled but after a number of increment boring explorations (and i,m not particularly happy boring into trees, usually a last resort) I came to the conclusion that the whole tree was compromised.

I wanted to monolith but was dissuaded.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice guys.

After giving the owner the pictures of the Beech tree, info on the disease and comments from Arbtalk he was pretty shocked about what could happen and said that he better speak to his father who co/owns the estate about removing the tree asap.........to this day it still stands.

I'm back up at a neighbouring farm on monday so i'll pop in to speak to the owner about it.

• 5 weeks later...