Species worth milling

Stereo

We all know oak for its weight and durability.

Larch is a very durable softwood, I would always want it for shiplap boarding. Western red cedar is better and lighter though. This is the choice for shingles.

Hazel suffers from wood-worm attack so beware.

Ash floor boards move a lot, sycamore boards are lovely so are beech.

When we supplied timber to an earlier form of TRADA, research found that best outside timber was 'treated' sycamore! Not a lot of people know that. Now don't take my word for this anymore as the 'treatment' today really only seems to be green food colouring!

I have some sycamore garden furniture that was cut in the 1970's by Mr West at Saunderton Sawmill. This was 'treated' in the old liquid (arsenic et al) and is still sitting outside as I write.....That's how it was supposed to be:biggrin::biggrin:

agg221,I love to hear that you continue to 'educate' authority with your building project!

codlasher

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But to return to the OP..

for what its worth Stereo, Ive been looking at timber in buildings full time for over 25 yrs. Have yet to see a piece a sycamore that performed well as a construction timber. Sure you can deter decay if you pump enough poison into it. But better to select more suitable species in the first place. Sycamore is good for certain uses but construction is not one of them.

Difflock that’s a fair description of its mechanical properties. I was also thinking of its poor natural resistance to decay. I think its formal classification in the BS/ EU scheme for natural durability would be 'perishable'. Codlasher's observation on the durability of preservative treated Sycamore can be attributed to its permeability. ie a suitable preservative can easily be impregnated. However, wood preservatives are not invulnerable to decay. In fact, fungi are used to break them down in recycling applications elsewhere in Europe

I've got a great description of permeability vs. durability kicking around at work, which I'll dig out. It was written by Prof. Callum Hill, who is probably the UK's leading expert on wood modification. Coincidentally, he did a stand-up set on the Edinburgh fringe on the subject of wood.

Alec