Arborists Hand Signals By the AWG

jaime bray

Dear All,

Some time ago the Arborists Working Group produced a set of hand signals for communicating in some situations that arise within arboricultural work.

The original thread and industry feedback was a thread called 'Ouch mind your head' (see thread for consultation discussion)

I have started a new thread as the old thread title was not very appropriate and doesnt come up at the top of the list when you search 'hand signals' in arbtalk.

My reason for posting is to try and ascertain as to whether any of you have used it or found it to be of value yet in a work situation?

Please find attached the guidance note and I hope to get any feed back from any previous posters, or new posters ref this topic.

Thanks for reading.:thumbup:

Jaime Bray

AA_Hand_Signals Completed.pdf

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we have all used similar signals at times & they naturally develop within a workplace. The ones illustrated are mostly good & common sense, however;

Why are there 2 signals for stop? Stop is stop, no options be it an emergency or not?

The OK signal cannot be done with 1 hand. So do you have to put down a saw, or rigging/pulling rope or even stop or go board. Useless when working as a pair.

Good idea. Definite clear signals are important, especially on a dull wet day where visibility can be reduced. Don't forget, typical Arb company clothing tends to be dark with blues or greens, which can make signals virtually invisible against a dark back drop, so make sure you can be seen clearly.

I think we have all used similar signals at times & they naturally develop within a workplace. The ones illustrated are mostly good & common sense, however;

Why are there 2 signals for stop? Stop is stop, no options be it an emergency or not?

The OK signal cannot be done with 1 hand. So do you have to put down a saw, or rigging/pulling rope or even stop or go board. Useless when working as a pair.

The two handed sign for ok was deemed to be inkeeping with the fact that if an assessment had been made by the groundsman and it was deemed ok then a clear two arms out wide would not be too much of a hinderence, as you would have carried out an assessment and taken stock of the situ, and be in control.

Somebody else mentioned how awkward it would be if you are holding a rigging rope, but I tried on several occasions; that were a high pedestrian occupation environment and rigging was taking place, to find it awkward, but just couldnt see why a rope in hand would stop you putting your hand up.

In relation to the stop go board, would that be a work situation that you would only have two people on site. I have always tried to ensure that in road side work that is in need of traffic management, regardless of the stop go board, there is three people on site.

Everybody operates differently...

The group felt that there was a need for that ultimate stop gesture. It is a natural instinct when you are trying to exert more effectiveness in any gesturing to do it with more emphasism, hence the two handed up in the air seemed an instinctive reaction to this emergency situ.

I hear what you are saying though. Do you have a formal communication system at your work place that all staff are aware of. Would you consider trialling these hand signals to see how effective they are?

Anything can be modified. Its not set in stone, the AA publishers can alter things if need be as this document is available as a download and no loss of monies will occur as it hasnt been printed for release, just downloadable under help for arborists

Thanks for the reply.

Good idea. Definite clear signals are important, especially on a dull wet day where visibility can be reduced. Don't forget, typical Arb company clothing tends to be dark with blues or greens, which can make signals virtually invisible against a dark back drop, so make sure you can be seen clearly.

Absolutely, we were in a back garden situ this week, and the sun was just reflecting awkwardly in the morning dew, so the climber asked if we could put the hi-vis on.

Good communication never hurt, and we didnt mind sweating a bit in them if it meant he saw us clearer.

I agree with Jamie on the Stop/Go scenario two on boards, one grounding/coordinating/controlling the site ground level. Most STop/Go teams seem to need someone to make sure the Stop/Goers are not Stop/Stopping or Go/Going, seemingly intelligent beings in all other walks of life seem to be confused by the complexities of the Stop/Go boards. :biggrin:

We have no formal signals, however there has developed - over time a common series of signals.

Stop, for example is one (or two ) arms outstretched palms facing the target person. During roadside work, a climber, after indicating a readiness to do so, will wait until the groundy lowers there hand to cut - the removal of the stop sign indicating go. This is often accompanied by a thumbs up, eye contact & a positive nod of the head.

The thumbs-up is universal & seems much more natural than arms outstretched (would be difficult to repeat consistently for me).

I think such signals are too easy to over analyse, when what would be more important to emphasize is good positive body language by the signaler.

We have no formal signals, however there has developed - over time a common series of signals.

Stop, for example is one (or two ) arms outstretched palms facing the target person. During roadside work, a climber, after indicating a readiness to do so, will wait until the groundy lowers there hand to cut - the removal of the stop sign indicating go. This is often accompanied by a thumbs up, eye contact & a positive nod of the head.

The thumbs-up is universal & seems much more natural than arms outstretched (would be difficult to repeat consistently for me).

I think such signals are too easy to over analyse, when what would be more important to emphasize is good positive body language by the signaler.

Pete,

i shall make note and report back to the group. Some do feel counter intuitive, but was trying to tie into as many scenarios as possible.

Do you do much crane work?

Is the arms out a standard sign for crane work. my memory of the task research eludes me.