Flu Shots in Sainsbury's

Mycoman

I think as a race we would know if we were hit by a major flu virus, such as the Sapnish Flu epidemic, as it would decimate the population. The viruses we get are tame in comparison. I believe that taking some of these meds unnecessarily just weakens the immune system, and therefore weakens our ability to stave off illness.

Aren't we generally healthier, better fed, etc than the European population in 1918/19? So less susceptible to epidemics. And my jag was an innoculation, exposing my immune system to enough of the pathogens to give it a 'memory' of how to fight next time.

It's just a leap of faith (£8 spunked up the wall?) for me: I might not come across one of these viruses again; I might, and successfully combat it; or I might meet a different or new virus and get laid low all the same. I can't know but for eight quid I'll take my chances.

But I don't like doing antibiotics willy nilly because I'm pretty keen on my intestinal microbiota.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think as a race we would know if we were hit by a major flu virus, such as the Sapnish Flu epidemic, as it would decimate the population. The viruses we get are tame in comparison. I believe that taking some of these meds unnecessarily just weakens the immune system, and therefore weakens our ability to stave off illness.

Was that related to the Spanish flu epidemic :lol:

Seriously though, you've hit the nail on the head there Andy.

We should be using these mild bugs to train up our immune systems in preparation for the nasty ones, but most people instead outsource their immunity at the drop of a hat the the big drug companies.

So in response to the OP, £8 for a reduced immune system does not strike me as a bargain.

That said I am a sceptic when it comes to the subject of immunisation/innoculation in general - just too much vested interest from politicians and the drug industry and enough scientific evidence to cast doubt on the normal reasons put forward for everybody lining up for jabs. Add to that the usual human arrogance of thinking we understand what is going on and only finding out years later that we were actually doing more harm than good.

The only thing I am sure of is that humans have survived all sorts of diseases and pestilence, purely by virtue of having an immune system, so what we really need to be doing is figuring how we can support that immunity and reduce over-stressing it. The starting point has to be feeding our bodies the right things diet wise and keeping healthy by using our bodies the way they have evolved to be used. Exercising the body, including the immune system is all part of that. Our ancestors managed to survive without modern medicine. Slinging chemical cocktails into the mix based on half truths and suppositions does not strike me as being a clever move - and thats before you get to the politicians and drug companies, but enough on that.

Going to calm down and relax with a tasty chemical cocktail derived from apples and see what effect that has on the immunity - if you can't trust the drug companies you just have to do your own experiments - all in the name of scientific progress of course as I sadly dont own a cider brewery :thumbup:

We've gone soft; it's that simple. Some on here are old enough to remember pox parties. If a kiddie gets the pox these days it's a critical incident followed by a public inquiry!

I've had chicken pox, measles and mumps and am still well enough to use up valuable internet space telling everyone about it.

Wish I hadn't had those God awful flu jabs though; they hurt.

Because of my on going medical problems i will be having the flu jab, anyone who is offered the jab or has to pay £8 for it should do so. Consider this, if you do get flu and i mean the full blown flu then you will be off work for 7/10 days.

Its been proved that "Man Flu " is real, seems that us blokes can't hack it.

A small scratch and its done, just a little localised ache for a few days, some very mild symptoms and then you are reasonably safe.

Go for it, be real "MEN":thumbup:

This thread contains some of most ridiculous and inaccurate mumbo jumbo I have ever read.

The over use of antibiotics make the bugs stronger not us weaker.

Vaccinations make our immune systems stronger and more effective, as it allows us to have new white blood cells.

Those killed by the Spanish flue were mostly young and healthy, because they were young they had not come into contact with that flues easier incarnation (which was less deadly) unlike the older people who has some level of immunity.

Steve is quite right in saying that most people who claim to have flue in reality they have a cold, flue is very nasty and kills 1000's every year.

We've gone soft; it's that simple. Some on here are old enough to remember pox parties. If a kiddie gets the pox these days it's a critical incident followed by a public inquiry!

I've had chicken pox, measles and mumps and am still well enough to use up valuable internet space telling everyone about it.

Wish I hadn't had those God awful flu jabs though; they hurt.

Are you aware of the affect chicken pox can have on an unborn child?

Are you aware of the affect chicken pox can have on an unborn child?

Yes, it's sad. I'm also aware that real 'flu is a killer but I still feel that we've gone overboard with trying to stop illness and delaying death. I'm not against all vaccination - far from it. I just don't see a need for a healthy 10-year old in Eastbourne in 1970 to have a painful 'flu jab; there wasn't even a choice in the matter then!

Yes, it's sad. I'm also aware that real 'flu is a killer but I still feel that we've gone overboard with trying to stop illness and delaying death. I'm not against all vaccination - far from it. I just don't see a need for a healthy 10-year old in Eastbourne in 1970 to have a painful 'flu jab; there wasn't even a choice in the matter then!

Personally if I could I would stop all illness and delay death for as long as possible, I really don't see that they have any plus sides :confused1:

So taking this example of saving every soul who has every illness, and delaying death for as long as possible.... Who is going to support the even larger population that this would create?

I should like to say that I'm all for medical intervention to save life where possible...I really should.. As I benefitted most from it, but tbh natural selection should take the sick, weak and the elderly, it's the circle of life.

Personally if I could I would stop all illness and delay death for as long as possible, I really don't see that they have any plus sides :confused1:

Hmm... an exponentially exploding population of immortals.

No thanks!

Edited by nepia
spolling