Changes to NPTC certification and courses

Can anyone advise me? Rang one of our local training providers to make some bookings for CS units for new staff later this year and was advised that the courses won't be available in the current format of modules and assessments eg CS 30/31, CS 38/39 etc. these will only remain available if booked before end of October and assessed within three months.

I haven't trawled the net for information on this yet but thought some of the training experts on here could shed some light on this. Is this right or is it just an administrative change. Our local training centres administrator couldn't give me any more detail.

Any advice gratefully received.

I posted this link to the NPTC site a little while ago, I couldn't find trhe CS units listed as we knew them either.

It seems there's now a new award, made up of the previous CS units as modules...

NPTC

CS 0960 replaces CS 30 and is made up of units 30.1 & 30.2, which seem to cover everything previously covered by CS 30

Interestingly it still refers to the CS30 assessment schedule on the site...

0966 replaces CS38... but again, still refers to the schedule for 38....

So sounds like change for change's sake...

Edited by WorcsWuss

Hopefully attached should be the City & Guilds (NPTC) Learner Guide which details the new Level 2 & 3 Awards plus how the current CS type units relate to them. Current CS type will remain available until May next year.

If the attachment doesn't work, give us a call at the TKF office on 01484 685114 and I'll email a copy.

TKF CG Chainsaw Level 2-3 Learner Guide A4 2Pg HR.pdf

Hi all,

The other thing to remember here is that Lantra Awards, traditionally always the 'training' aspect of the CS units, is now also offering 'CoCs' (certificates of competence, req'd under PUWER ACOP Reg.9) alongside C&G/NPTC.

Interestingly, and with many critics, some of these are deliverd with 'ITA' (integrated training and assessment), i.e. the same person trains you and assesses you, such as Cs32 - medium tree felling (as was), and Cs40 pruning.

For further info see attcahed (curtesy of Chris Cooper-Abbs.)

Cheers all..

Paul

Forestry and arboricultural qualifications v0 2 011012.doc

So what's covered by what we know as units is still coverd they have just changed the name of each one?

So cs 30 is still cs 30 but is now a different name?

One question. Why?

The cynic in me says potential job losses at C&G forced thumb twiddlers to come up with some sort of project to make them look busy while cuts were being made.....

The other side of me says.... er.... No, can't think of anything....

its another step by "big brother" to make the system so complicated that everybody will end up having to retake assesments because nobody will know what all the no.s and letters mean......more jobs for muppets trying to convince others of there own importance. The old system worked fine, just some office monkeys couldnt justify there own importance with it so, surprise surprise, all change, as with other things I now find some spotty faced nyaff trying to tell me Im not qualified to carry out a job Ive been doing, safely I might add, for 30 years, and Ill have to sit an assesment by him, Im starting to get very pissed off by all these so called new "experts " that are starting to turn up in this inustry, most of them under 30, there is no way they can have the skills and experience of folk who have worked with timber for more years than theyve been on the planet, just my feelings