Diesel Particulate Filter - any experiences?

Bald Monkey

As above, they can clog up if they're not driven faster every now and then, all most DPF's ask is around 10-15 minutes at around 50mph. A dash light will usually come on to tell you when Regeneration is occuring, in which time the engine will get hotter, MPG will drop, purposefully burning more fuel to increase EGT.

Unless you exclusively drive in built-up areas, you shouldn't really have a problem. Even if you do, it's an excuse to take it on a swift drive on your favourite A-roads one evening if the reminder light comes on :biggrin: Regeneration will normally occur naturally on motorways etc

Failing that, just pick up a newer Euro 4 engine, such as any Vw Group 'PD' engine (golf, passat, A3, A4, Octavia etc etc) as DPFs are a Euro 5 requirement.

Or have the DPF taken out :001_tongue: DPFs are not currently a legal requirement or needed to pass an MOT test.

Edited by Ben90

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(i) Take owt HJ says about DPF's with a very large pinch of salt.

Early VW's where the DPF was a bodged affair introduced during the production life of the older models gave trouble.

I gambled that VW would have sorted the installation with the 1.6 diesel which was designed from scratch to have a DPF fitted.

We bought a Skoda Octavia 1.6 diesel DSG.

I drive to work 3 miles and stop. home for lunch and stop. ditto at quitting time.

A lot of short runs.

That said we have put 35,000miles on her in 2 years.

Weekends eh!

I have smelt the DPF cooking off a couple of times when the car was new.

Other than that I do not know it exists.

MPG's are very good, mostly 55 or 60 plus on a longer liesurly run.

Stuff running a petrol.

PS

I drove a Meriva 1.7 automatic diesel on exactly the same runs duties.

It was a bitch with the DPF clogging, required sustained "fleecing" to clear and only done about 35mpg. This over some 3 months.

So dont buy a Vauxhall with a DPF.imho.

:thumbup:So take it from me buy the 1.6 diesel Skoda.:thumbup:

ps

Consider an Octavia, some absolutly crackling deals at the moment with the model being replaced next year.

Au contraire.

Wor intelligent 7 speed automatic gearbox mostly hums along at about 1250 to 1500 rpm of choice , rarely exceed 2000 or 2500 before upchanging.

Often pulling sub 1000 rpm in 7th, this being the intelligent gearbox's choice:biggrin:

That said plant the throttle and she drops from 7th to 4th in a blink, an boy can she go.

Overtaking is NOT an issue.

Who needs more than 105 Skoda BHP

However iffen driving a Vauxhall your advice is sound.:001_rolleyes:

But then one would be better driving a petrol:001_tt2:

cheers

m

Au contraire.

Wor intelligent 7 speed automatic gearbox mostly hums along at about 1250 to 1500 rpm of choice , rarely exceed 2000 or 2500 before upchanging.

Often pulling sub 1000 rpm in 7th, this being the intelligent gearbox's choice:biggrin:

That said plant the throttle and she drops from 7th to 4th in a blink, an boy can she go.

Overtaking is NOT an issue.

Who needs more than 105 Skoda BHP

However iffen driving a Vauxhall your advice is sound.:001_rolleyes:

But then one would be better driving a petrol:001_tt2:

cheers

m

Did a bit of research and that seems to make sense regarding your gearbox. Despite my comment above it's apparently not revs that increase EGTs and therefore assist regeneration in diesels, it's torque load, so chugging along in lower revs and making the engine work a bit should result in fewer DPF issues.

That said, long live Euro 4: no smoke no poke! :thumbup:

I figger VW's successful installation is down to plain engineering common sense and good design.

In the "bodged" installations on the "PD" engines i understand the DPF was fitted somewhere below the floor pan of the car, rather than in the engine bay.

Whereas in the designed from scratch 1.6 TDI it is nestled up in at the rear of the engine, immediately after the close coupled turbo.

Plus very well insulated (well the car would probably catch fire otherwise!)

So basically has the best chance of getting and staying skelping hot.

Plus plus the super-duper 507 oil probably has an influence on der DPF.

Could be a bugger to work on though.

Tha

up in at the rear of the engine, immediately after the close coupled turbo.

Plus plus the super-duper 507 oil probably has an influence on der DPF.

Precisely - keep a cat near the exhaust manifold / turbo - works properly. Remember the stinking cats on petrol cars - H2S (hyd. sulphide) bomb due to rarely being at op. temp in UK; designed in california for C.A.R.B :001_rolleyes:

Yeah PD oil...

VW engine oil | Volkswagen engine oil

Sniff!

"We" have moved on from the evolutionary dead end of PD engine technology there TCD:001_tt2:

However, on reflection, I tink the 507 spec VW oil is actually more to do with either the extended service intervals or variable service interval schedule.

Der Octavia only gets a service every 18,600 (30,000km)

I am good with that.:thumbup:bearing in mind the per litre price:thumbdown:

I might even re-cycle it through the old David Brown after.:lol:

Ps

I like smilies!

Edited by difflock

Sniff!

"We" have moved on from the evolutionary dead end of PD engine technology there TCD:001_tt2:

However, on reflection, I tink the 507 spec VW oil is actually more to do with either the extended service intervals or variable service interval schedule.

Der Octavia only gets a service every 18,600 (30,000km)

I am good with that.:thumbup:bearing in mind the per litre price:thumbdown:

I might even re-cycle it through the old David Brown after.:lol:

Ps

I like smilies!

504 was the first extended interval / "longlife" oil, 507 lacks minerals to avoid poisoning cat.

Your DB will seize on that stuff.