A different way to chop your wood

Stereo

Say you had loads of billets (branches) of ash, hazel, oak and alder all about 5" in dia and cut in 4' lengths, stacked on pallets all summer. Normally I would now cut them in 8-10" lengths and split if required.

What if I put them all on the saw horse and cut them to 4" long? Like sort of cubes but not cubes. Chunks.

Would works well physically in my stove and may dry better.

Has anyone ever done this? Very short logs.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Say you had loads of billets (branches) of ash, hazel, oak and alder all about 5" in dia and cut in 4' lengths, stacked on pallets all summer. Normally I would now cut them in 8-10" lengths and split if required.

What if I put them all on the saw horse and cut them to 4" long? Like sort of cubes but not cubes. Chunks.

Would works well physically in my stove and may dry better.

Has anyone ever done this? Very short logs.

I've done a few, but still at experimenting stage at the mo.

We get a huge amount of small diameter stuff (sub 4") and am trying to find a market for it. One of my thoughts was chiminea wood - small diameter short logs.

Had made a rack up for cutting poles to normal logs but it lended itself to doing tiny logs too and was surprisingly quick to cut and bag.

Have got a few nets sat at home drying and they seem to dry fairly well without going mouldy and dry a bit quicker in comparison to normal logs.

Haven't got round to burning more than an odd few but they seemed OK if you made a decent heap.

I've done a few, but still at experimenting stage at the mo.

We get a huge amount of small diameter stuff (sub 4") and am trying to find a market for it. One of my thoughts was chiminea wood - small diameter short logs.

Had made a rack up for cutting poles to normal logs but it lended itself to doing tiny logs too and was surprisingly quick to cut and bag.

Have got a few nets sat at home drying and they seem to dry fairly well without going mouldy and dry a bit quicker in comparison to normal logs.

Haven't got round to burning more than an odd few but they seemed OK if you made a decent heap.

Granny logs! I like that. It's really the way they would sit in the fire. Awkward is good in my view. A load of long straight bits of wood are tough to get a decent heat going. Old lumps of super dry rubbish seem to burn with super heat. You get air gaps that let the fire work and live.

Granny logs! I like that. It's really the way they would sit in the fire. Awkward is good in my view. A load of long straight bits of wood are tough to get a decent heat going. Old lumps of super dry rubbish seem to burn with super heat. You get air gaps that let the fire work and live.