Making a profit from woodland?

Nature

i would give my back teeth to have access and even ownership of 47 acres of mixed woodland. So many wood markets you can explore when you own the timber but as long as you do the work yourself or have someone trustworthy working with you.

Thats pretty much the first positive comment about this possible venture - thanks :)

My problem is that I haven't got the skills or experience to do the forestry work myself.

I like the idea of processing the wood into products for retail sale (not yet more hen hutches!) so I own the process from start to finish. My background is in internet marketing so that is the part that I can bring skills and experience to bear.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats pretty much the first positive comment about this possible venture - thanks :)

My problem is that I haven't got the skills or experience to do the forestry work myself.

I like the idea of processing the wood into products for retail sale (not yet more hen hutches!) so I own the process from start to finish. My background is in internet marketing so that is the part that I can bring skills and experience to bear.

Its the prozac it helps.

Its the prozac it helps.

From reading your replies Nature, you are not totally sure what you want out of your wood. As things stand you are unlikly to lose money by buying the wood in the long term.

If i was in your situation i would keep a third of the wood for myself to do with what you want, and use the other 2/3 to provide some income to cover some of the costs (training, equipment etc.) of you doing whatever you want in your third.

You will also need good advice to deal with the TPO element. Speak to the tree officer at the council, he or she will be able to tell you what is appropriate, and what you will/ wont be able to do.

Good luck

P.S. i am very envious

From reading your replies Nature, you are not totally sure what you want out of your wood. As things stand you are unlikly to lose money by buying the wood in the long term.

If i was in your situation i would keep a third of the wood for myself to do with what you want, and use the other 2/3 to provide some income to cover some of the costs (training, equipment etc.) of you doing whatever you want in your third.

You will also need good advice to deal with the TPO element. Speak to the tree officer at the council, he or she will be able to tell you what is appropriate, and what you will/ wont be able to do.

Good luck

P.S. i am very envious

P.S. i am very envious

You don't need to be as you are fortunate to live in a stunning part of the world. I worked at Orielton Field Studies Centre, just outside Pembroke, many moons ago and had a fantastic time :)

You are correct in thinking that I am unsure about how to exploit this opportunity (common sense dictates that I should walk away from it as it is outside my expertise). I think it is a good idea to talk to the tree officer about the TPO constraints.

P.S. i am very envious

You don't need to be as you are fortunate to live in a stunning part of the world. I worked at Orielton Field Studies Centre, just outside Pembroke, many moons ago and had a fantastic time :)

You are correct in thinking that I am unsure about how to exploit this opportunity (common sense dictates that I should walk away from it as it is outside my expertise). I think it is a good idea to talk to the tree officer about the TPO constraints.

Yeah, it's not about the money. Today I fought my way through 20 yards of nettles to confirm what I thought I saw. A ragged old hazel stump I had coppiced back to nothing in January. Now there is a stem which stands taller than me and plenty others following it.

Plus some of the Alder sun shoots I had cut from the fallen tree, left in the river for 3 weeks and then roughly stuck in the soft ground are now trees.

Makes your heart sing, or mine anyway.