Customers!

Shane

I know there have been a few threads about customers on here, this latest one wasn't too bad but for once I was left speechless.

The guys were working on a beech reduction at a house on a 'well off' estate (houses sell for £850k - £1M+).

The price had been agreed and she was going to pay by cheque on completion of the job - as long as she was happy.

When my team leader returned he handed me a cheque which was rounded up by £20.00 (not am unusual event, I'm pleased to say). Cheers!

I just filed it away with some others to pay in.

That evening MRs Tightwad (not her real name) phoned up and the conversation went something like this

Mrs T - Hello, did Anthony give you the cheque?

Me - Yes, thanks very much, they told me you were happy with the tree.

Mrs T - Yes, they are a nice bunch. BUT I think I made the cheque out for

£x50 by mistake we had agreed £x30......

Me - That's right, I haven't paid it in yet though ... what would you like me to do?

Mrs T - Erm... well to save me writing another one you can just take £20 off the next job in October.

**** Price already agreed for October phase - so it WOULD be a reduction****

Me (stunned in disbelief) errr.... yes if thats what you would like.

Mrs T - Thanks for that, sorry about the mistake.

In fairness she paid what was agreed, and on the day, so I'll still get exactly what I quoted for. Business-wise no problems.

Just amazing when weve had big bonuses from old ladies/gents emptying out their purses then a millionaire comes out with this.

I don't expect a bonus from anyone - just never had one revoked afterwards!

At least she paid..

Always look on the bright side of life

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know there have been a few threads about customers on here, this latest one wasn't too bad but for once I was left speechless.

The guys were working on a beech reduction at a house on a 'well off' estate (houses sell for £850k - £1M+).

The price had been agreed and she was going to pay by cheque on completion of the job - as long as she was happy.

When my team leader returned he handed me a cheque which was rounded up by £20.00 (not am unusual event, I'm pleased to say). Cheers!

I just filed it away with some others to pay in.

That evening MRs Tightwad (not her real name) phoned up and the conversation went something like this

Mrs T - Hello, did Anthony give you the cheque?

Me - Yes, thanks very much, they told me you were happy with the tree.

Mrs T - Yes, they are a nice bunch. BUT I think I made the cheque out for

£x50 by mistake we had agreed £x30......

Me - That's right, I haven't paid it in yet though ... what would you like me to do?

Mrs T - Erm... well to save me writing another one you can just take £20 off the next job in October.

**** Price already agreed for October phase - so it WOULD be a reduction****

Me (stunned in disbelief) errr.... yes if thats what you would like.

Mrs T - Thanks for that, sorry about the mistake.

In fairness she paid what was agreed, and on the day, so I'll still get exactly what I quoted for. Business-wise no problems.

Just amazing when weve had big bonuses from old ladies/gents emptying out their purses then a millionaire comes out with this.

I don't expect a bonus from anyone - just never had one revoked afterwards!

At least she paid..

Always look on the bright side of life

used to work as a tyre fitter in a garage in inverness this scruffy rather exentric old fella used to come in with a knackred old volvo aye looking for part worns or work done to the jalopy cheap, found out later he was a milllionaire! no wonder don't think he ever spent a penny he didn't have to! :lol:

used to work as a tyre fitter in a garage in inverness this scruffy rather exentric old fella used to come in with a knackred old volvo aye looking for part worns or work done to the jalopy cheap, found out later he was a milllionaire! no wonder don't think he ever spent a penny he didn't have to! :lol:

Well at least she paid you what was agreed and didnt argue that bit.

Ive always found millionaires to be all the same, and its usually how they come to be millionaires in the first place, by being ultra money wise (aka tight!)

This week just gone I was Leylandii hedge cutting using a hired mewp and the guy was so happy he handed us £20 each cash as a drink on top of the invoiced amount paid. Needless to say he isnt a millionaire and i think those who are not sure appreciate the hard work that goes into our job more than those who are well off.

Well at least she paid you what was agreed and didnt argue that bit.

Ive always found millionaires to be all the same, and its usually how they come to be millionaires in the first place, by being ultra money wise (aka tight!)

This week just gone I was Leylandii hedge cutting using a hired mewp and the guy was so happy he handed us £20 each cash as a drink on top of the invoiced amount paid. Needless to say he isnt a millionaire and i think those who are not sure appreciate the hard work that goes into our job more than those who are well off.