how can i check if a saw is stolen?

elfinwood saws

I really hope Stihl does keep records, being German they probably do but they would only know if the unfortunate owner keeps a record and tells them.

I engrave all my tools, always have done. Should have done it on the boat I had nicked but didnt, the bastards.

Anyway, all you can do is ask Stihl, the police will be absolutly useless unless you get an out of the way bobby who has time and looks at it as a challenge. The nornal bobby's just dont want to know, half will wonder what a chain saw is and the other half will not have a clue what a top handle saw is.

Good luck

Our local dealer has been broken into a number of times and has a list of all numbers of stolen new kit . Also the numbers of stolen saws from other dealers . Only a few months ago a dodgy looking bloke came in with a new looking saw wanting top trade it up for a bigger model . My dealer took it in to " inspect" it ( suposedly to give him a price on a trade in) and looked it up and low and behold it was stolen . He kept the saw and told the bloke it was stolen and he had it away on his toes and never came back ! Gave the police his registration number and I tghink it lead to some arrests . Sooo if its newish might be worth checking with your local dealer ??