Quick possibly silly question-Ash cuttings?

jamesfwpurdy

Question

Bend a sapling over and peg it down in contact with the ground. Lightly cover the stem with soil from surrounding area. Loosening the soil along intended area is as good. but trees fall over and become Phoenix trees without human intervention.

Come next year the whole length of the stem in contact with soil will be rooted at the branch nodes. Carefully lift the stem by loosening the soil to a couple of feet along each side to lessen root damage. Cut stem into lengths using loppers and re-plant where you want them.

Tips

Lay the stems down now before the sap is down so that the stems are flexible and let them overwinter.

Hydrology is important, the soil around the stems needs to be moist, this shouldn't be a problem unless it decides not to rain during autumn and winter.

Protection for the stems from grazing animals might be required.

Or... Ash hangs on to seed for ages, so grab a handful in passing, fill a 3" half plant pot (half normal depth) or seed tray with seed compost. Firm the compost to the ridge about an 1" from the top of the pot or tray. Sprinkle the seeds on the compost. Lightly cover the seeds with more compost and water freely. The bulk of the water will run away but the compost will be drenched and any air pockets in the compost will be filled. The seeds should strike without any problem but keep damp, not wet.

Wait for a good number of plants with the first two leaves to appear, water well and using a lollypop stick pencil or similar, lift the seedlings and transplant into their own 21/2"-3" full pot. The roots will be long and straggly, part fill the plant pot and tap the pot on its side to angle the compost, the seedling can be layed onto the face of the compost and the pot can be filled with more compost. In firming the compost the roots can be damaged, so go lightly.

Keep compost damp and leave them to grow two more sets of leaves. Choose sites where you want them to grow and plant them no deeper than the level of surrounding soil. Stand back and admire your handy work.:thumbup1: The critters will still eat them!!

If you have the space, repot them into larger pots and sink them into the ground. Once the roots get going you should get a 12" sapling in no time. Keep an eye on them and plant them the following year before they get too tall. You might have to loosen the roots if they have filled the pot and gone round in circles looking for a way out.

The above can be used for any UK species.

Funny you ask just now.

I was pulling up some self seeded ash today as I am always doing and thinking what a waste....be great to grow them on for wood.

Why not just look out for ash trees (away from your grazing animals) and then go grab the self seeded saplings, always loads about.

I've done it with some yew that I found dotted about the place. My little nursery has grown to include holly, and connys that I find and grow on for hedging plants.

I keep meaning to ask Dean how his yew are doing so I know how quick they'll get bigger.

P1030987.jpg.82f6360c8a3314296df540a2c52899cc.jpg

I don't think this is a silly question at all, here is a quote from Jon Evelyn's Sylva:

"Ash will be propagated from a bough slipt off with some of the old wood, a little before the bud swells, but with difficulty by layers."

I haven't tried it yet but I will give it a go next spring. If you do some experiments then let us all know how you get on. Evelyn also goes into great depth regarding the technique of propagation by seed.

The Project Gutenberg eBook of Sylva, by John Evelyn.

I prefer to put young seedlings like that into 6 cell or 12 cell multi trays (like the ones your bedding plants come in). I place them off centre so that the roots touch the sides. Air is able to get down and helps speed up growth. I found putting them in large pots slowed growth and the growing medium becomes waterlogged easier. In winter there is then a greater risk of roots freezing. I keep them on the dry side in winter in a cold frame. Cold and wet trees bad. Cool and damp trees good.(Forest floor conditions)

I then pot them on into small 9 cm pots ( Usually you get a tray of 18 pots with hanging basket plants) in early spring and then into 2 Ltr pots ( the size you get alot of small shrubs in at the garden centres) either that autumn or in the following spring. That way you also maximise the space your using for growing on ( could probably get 100+ seedlings in the area in the photo). Its easier to move them around. And your only using small amounts of growing media each time you pot them on. Watering is easier too. Also fertiliser rates in the growing medium increase as the pots get bigger. Feeding when they are too small is not a good idea.

Hope that has been helpful.

HND Horticulture.