Advice needed please

White Noise

Hi all I originally did a quote to remove a number of trees from a customers garden . This quote included grinding the stumps out . We carried out all work apart from the grinding then were told to remove two other trees which had not previously been mentioned . Now the customer does not want to pay for the other two trees but still wants all the stumps removed . The customer has paid in full for the original quote of 5 trees and stump removal . The problem I have is the considerable extra work involved in the other two trees . So I have explained that these two other trees far outweigh the cost of grinding . I am reluctant to carry out grinding after removing the other trees . If grinding is carried out at the original price I will have done two trees for free and two stumps for free ? . Advice please

Hmmm, interesting.

So, the current position, as I understand it, is that you have been paid for a contract you have not yet fulfilled, i.e. you haven't done the stump grinding to the original trees, but you have completed additional works, i.e. a variation to the contract, with no payment received.

Whilst I understand your reluctance to do the grinding, I would suggest you are contractually obliged to do so to the original trees (but not the additional two.)

I would also suggest you send an invoice for the other two trees removed citing it as a contract variation instructed on site (hopefully you gave a price to the cleint before commencing works which, ideally, should have been noted on your copy of the quote and then signed by the client.) I would also include a quote for grinding out the remaining two stumps.

Hoping my ramblings, whilst perhaps not what you wanted to hear, offer some help / guidance.

Good luck..!

Paul

You should've agreed the extra cost before removing the other two trees. (The OP is difficult to understand btw) If he has paid up front you are in the driving seat.

However I would have thought the extra cost of grinding is negligible (once the machine was there etc) Customer sounds a pain but at the point where he says "could you do those two as well?" it's up to you to say "that will be XXXXX extra.

Hmmm, interesting.

So, the current position, as I understand it, is that you have been paid for a contract you have not yet fulfilled, i.e. you haven't done the stump grinding to the original trees, but you have completed additional works, i.e. a variation to the contract, with no payment received.

Whilst I understand your reluctance to do the grinding, I would suggest you are contractually obliged to do so to the original trees (but not the additional two.)

I would also suggest you send an invoice for the other two trees removed citing it as a contract variation instructed on site (hopefully you gave a price to the cleint before commencing works which, ideally, should have been noted on your copy of the quote and then signed by the client.) I would also include a quote for grinding out the remaining two stumps.

Hoping my ramblings, whilst perhaps not what you wanted to hear, offer some help / guidance.

Good luck..!

Paul

Thanks for the reply :001_smile:

Hmmm, interesting.

Good luck..!

Paul

That's how I would have dealt with it too.