I am fuming - advice / feedback wanted.

Tom10

Why on earth would a tree officer put a tpo on a tree 'just for fun'? To say that it might be done just so that the officer could go home smugly feeling that he had achieved something that day is cynical to the point of being ridiculous.

I've worked with many TOs and managed quite a few in my time and have never encountered anyone who would do that, or encountered a scenario where it would be conceivable that something like that might happen.

That's not to say that there hasn't at some point been a mentally ill tree officer who did bizarre things; Bob Lund - BBC News - Robert Lund guilty of killing wife in France - was a tree officer but that doesn't mean they all kill their wives. Probably. But to say it happens in general is insulting and, in a nutshell, wrong.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can point out a good example of what I would consider a ludicrous tpo decision and I'm sure there will be hundreds more examples that people can give

This decision lost me a friend because he saw it as my fault that he is now stuck with 100 shitty leylandii as a little forest in the last half of his garden because I enquiried as to their status

I think there's a world of difference between a bad decision (I agree, I'm sure there are many examples) and a TO's cynical decision to apply a TPO 'simply to look busy'.

Maybe I'm just lucky in that all the tree officers I have worked with were highly professional and applied robust processes when deciding if a tree was worth protecting. I am no stranger to appearing in front of planning committees to explain why the tree in Cllr Smith's ward isn't worth a TPO, despite his and his constituents' protestations to the contrary.

Whilst JR or appeal can be costly, it costs sod all to make an FOI request to see the evaluation that was carried when deciding that a TPO was appropriate - has anyone thought of doing that?

I dont think TO's are in the business of slapping pointless TPO's on trees, what benifit would anybody or wildlife get from that? There has to be valid reasons for tree protection or they would just get overturned at every appeal and make them selves look bad.

Exactly? Thats my argument here. there is no benefit, thats the issue!

I think there's a world of difference between a bad decision (I agree, I'm sure there are many examples) and a TO's cynical decision to apply a TPO 'simply to look busy'.

Maybe I'm just lucky in that all the tree officers I have worked with were highly professional and applied robust processes when deciding if a tree was worth protecting. I am no stranger to appearing in front of planning committees to explain why the tree in Cllr Smith's ward isn't worth a TPO, despite his and his constituents' protestations to the contrary.

Whilst JR or appeal can be costly, it costs sod all to make an FOI request to see the evaluation that was carried when deciding that a TPO was appropriate - has anyone thought of doing that?

I think you are lucky.

The long and short of it is the tree he protected on site, on the day of our job, after we contacted him 2 weeks before shouldn't of been protected.

I am right. despite your understandable siding with the TO. I couldn't agree more, most are really good.

In this instance and this instance only to my knowledge he went about the whole situation wrong.

A bad decision is a bad decision and maybe would not of wound me up so much. What has got my back is we told him the work we were going to do 2 weeks ago and he said go ahead. Then turns up on the day of the job and goes out of his way to stop us. Ignorance at its best.

I think you are lucky.

The long and short of it is the tree he protected on site, on the day of our job, after we contacted him 2 weeks before shouldn't of been protected.

I am right. despite your understandable siding with the TO. I couldn't agree more, most are really good.

In this instance and this instance only to my knowledge he went about the whole situation wrong.

A bad decision is a bad decision and maybe would not of wound me up so much. What has got my back is we told him the work we were going to do 2 weeks ago and he said go ahead. Then turns up on the day of the job and goes out of his way to stop us. Ignorance at its best.

If this is the case it is poor and I can understand your annoyance.

Question is 'is it worth for you and your client to go through with an appeal or mover on?

If this is the case it is poor and I can understand your annoyance.

Question is 'is it worth for you and your client to go through with an appeal or mover on?

Is it bugger :thumbdown: he has already told us 'we are welcome' to appeal (Thanks for the patronising tone mate!) however has also made it clear it will be declined anyway!

We have just covered our time at the property with other work so the customer is as happy as they can be and luckily we havent lost as much money as first thought :001_smile:

Wonder how long before they fail and what the reprocusssions will be as they overhang 2 gardens both with kids :001_rolleyes:

They are in a bad way. heavily Ivy covered and old for this species. From the ones we did take down I found numerous examples of why they should be removed including lots of dead wood, weak unions and even a completely hollow stem (2cm of hard timer around 50% circumference of the branch) I reckon it would of failed this winter.

Appeal then if refused apply for the work and then go to the government inspector at appeal if the application is refused. That is the only way you could do it now.

How much work for 2 trees? :sneaky2::thumbdown: Even harder to swallow as its not our fault as contractors but will be our endless time trying to appeal as you say.

Thanks for the feedback though.