Checking the chain brake

Steve999

Question for the professionals please. Apart from reving to full power and knocking the brake lever to make sure it stops the chain dead, is it recommended to let go of the front handle so that the bar impacts a tree stump or similar to check the inertia mechanism is working? Do you do that every day, before use?

True, but that's easy to say when you sell all the spare sprockets and clutches :001_tongue:

What kind of work-positioning cock-up could you find yourself in where the trigger was held in with the brake on for more than three seconds? I think I've been conditioned by now to release the trigger after no more than 0.5 seconds once realising the brake is still on:blushing:

To the OP, I do seem to remember that on my NPTC training, dropping the tip of the saw onto a stump with the chain brake off to see if the inertia mech works, but have never done it since! I will check my mech today :thumbup1:

Have you Checked your Mech?:001_tongue:

You have two tests, the first is to rev the machine up to max revs and to snapon the chainbrake, it should stop the machine dead - there are specified times of braking but would be almost impossible for you or I to measure.

The second one is the inertia test where you hold a saw horizontally above a log and allow the bar tip to fall on to the log and the brake should come on.

I tend to do the first test and have only done the second if the saw is one of the older Huskys with the adjustment on the brake.

For your own sake - DO NOT do this second test with the machine running!!!

Have you guys ever had kick back, just wondering how quick the inertia mechanism kicks in. My instructor demonstrated kick back but don't think the inertia mech kicked in, he just caught it.

I like the look of the Husky with front and rear inertia break, looks good for us amateurs.