processor capacity V volume,

Alycidon

I am wondering what the formulation usually is between the volume of cord you put through a processor and the size or usual capacity of that processor.

ie, if you process 100 tons a year ( say 130 cube) then use X machine or similar and if you process say 500 tons ( say 650 cube) then use Y machine or similar.

Just thinking out loud as I may need to change my processor next spring from one that has a manual infeed deck to a hydraulic with hyd feed rack. At the same time I probably want to increase capacity as much as anything to save time spent processing.

Thanks

A

i dont know about formula you would have to consider the size of product used as this has a massive effect on out put as you will know ie same time for 2 logs as 8 if the material is small as for infeed table yes this makes a big difference to keep your machine at full capacity as the next log is pushing the first one in so continuos cutting allowing a second person on forklift to remove full bags and top up deck we use posch s350 with infeed table which we had to use without a table for a while as there was no space for it where an estate had stacked the timber and this was definately slower.the posch set up allows you to position the table on the tractor side of the processor or your side if you know what i mean you obviously reverse hydraulic hoses hope this helps

With my current manual rack this has to be on the tractor side, when processing short ( 5 feet or so) timber and loading with a fork truck on a teleporter then mudguards can get bashed. I have seen racks on the operators side and providing they function as per videos I have seen then that is the way to go. As I cut below 250mm that tends to rule out Palax who have a min cut length of 250mm so Posch is likely favourite at the moment as I like the TCT blade on my current machine.

How much PTO power does the 350 want?. Currently I use a MF135, from memory max hydraulic pick up is about 2200 lbs, so that would not pick up a 350 and at 40hp ( when new!!) probably wont power it either.

A

Edited by Alycidon

i dont know about 135 picking it up it is heavy but it should power it cause i had to borrow a small 35 hp estate tractor one weekend and it worked it you can also get them powered by electric if you want i know what you mean loading on tractor side being dodgy the advantage to having it on your side is you can sort out timber easier than walking away from the machine the posch has tct blade good for 160 ton before changing to spare blade supplied so far no complaints

Weight is well beyond the 135s capacity, are the hydraulics self contained and driven off the PTO ( or elec motor) or do they run off the tractor hydraulics?. Think it must be the former otherwise how would it function with electric 3 phase power. I could put up to 160hp onto it to pick it up but running a turbo engine at low revs will cause bore washing with fuel which will prematurly wear the engine. We have a John Deere 2850 working a bale wrapper, needed an engine rebuild at 4000 hrs. So plant it with a bigger tractor then drive it with the 135, maybe that would be a flyer.

A

Edited by Alycidon

that is exactly the solution we had now run it off fendt tool carrier which is air cooled no worries of burst fan belt and cooked engine plus only sips fuel unlike high hp tractors think its about 70 hp but with 14500 plus hours maybe less anyway it does the job the other thing you should think about is how to switch pto off instantly in case of blade jamming and believe me this does happen although it should not our tractor has a clutch on pto pull on string out back window stops it dead 135 might need some bodging

I am wondering what the formulation usually is between the volume of cord you put through a processor and the size or usual capacity of that processor.

ie, if you process 100 tons a year ( say 130 cube) then use X machine or similar and if you process say 500 tons ( say 650 cube) then use Y machine or similar.

Just thinking out loud as I may need to change my processor next spring from one that has a manual infeed deck to a hydraulic with hyd feed rack. At the same time I probably want to increase capacity as much as anything to save time spent processing.

Thanks

A

You should get 1.5 cu metres of loose logs out of 1 tonne of green beech. For the last 5 years we have processed 200 tonnes a year with no log deck. Just made a manual log deck this year and the job is soooo much easier should of done it 5 years ago. I dont think I could justify the cost or effort of making a powered deck unless I was going to do + 500 tonnes a year. Big processors dont seem to make the best of small cordwood and the logs seem to come out bigger. I think a 300-350mm machine is the best compromise as it seems more controlable. After last years mild winter I would be cautious ivesting to much money.

You should get 1.5 cu metres of loose logs out of 1 tonne of green beech. For the last 5 years we have processed 200 tonnes a year with no log deck. Just made a manual log deck this year and the job is soooo much easier should of done it 5 years ago. I dont think I could justify the cost or effort of making a powered deck unless I was going to do + 500 tonnes a year. Big processors dont seem to make the best of small cordwood and the logs seem to come out bigger. I think a 300-350mm machine is the best compromise as it seems more controlable. After last years mild winter I would be cautious ivesting to much money.

HI STEVE your so right there mate re last years mild winter and the cost of pro :thumbup1:jon :thumbup: