Money tight gardening dilemma..

odd_bird

So I'm buying a house! Happy times! :biggrin:

The only problem is that the garden has been neglected for good 10 years or more. Bramble, overgrown hedges and trees look like a couple days work would be required to tame the place.

I am now wondering whether to buy something like this 52cc PETROL 5IN1 HEDGE TRIMMER, CHAINSAW, STRIMMER, BRUSH CUTTER, EXTENSION POLE | eBay and let it fall apart after couple of uses, or hire.

make my life easier, share your thoughts... :hmmmm2:

Ta x

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats on purchasing your new home. Hirer a professional to take care of the job.

easy-lift guy

Thanks. I am sort of(!) occasional professional myself (doing minor tree work approx 3 months a year) just haven't got an access to professional tools for personal use. Painful very painful...(Do'h)

If we were closer, we would easily get done in one day what it would take you to do in several days.... and it would cost £400-£500. Seriously, unless you've already got access to tools and people, it would be worth doing as Easy Lift Guy suggested and get a firm in for the first job, who will take everything away for you and leave you a garden that you can subsequently maintain more easily. Much less headache. And by the time you factor in the cost of tooling yourself up for the job and getting rid of everything, you'll probably save by having someone do it for you.

If you have the time, don't mind doing the work, then why not buy the 5-in-1 tool?

I'm sure it would last long enough for you to do what you needed.

I've bought loads of cheap tools over the years, and if they are looked after and maintained can last years.

Besides, doing your own garden would add a sense of "ownership" to the newly acquired property.

Edited by KingoftheRing

My dad bought a cheapo Mcculoch (spelling?) one off the shopping channel and it's been great to be honest. The only issue we had with it is nuts and bolts shaking loose over time but these were soon sorted. We use the pole saw all the time and also for general strimming / brush.

If cash is tight you can always ebay it again, will probably make £120- 150 or so if you look after it.

Suppose it depends on the size of garden & were it is

Can you just pile up & have a bonfire later to get rid of the stuff etc without upsetting neigbours or does it all need removing which woud be more hassle/cost etc

Get a load of builders bags to shove the stuff in :001_smile:

If its a fairly big garden might be worth investing in some decent tools as you will want to keep it under control in the longer term?

Obviously this depends of the scale of the problem, but if you have the time you can achieve a lot with secateurs, loppers and a pruning saw. I tackled a 17th century farmhouse garden that hadn't been touched for 20 years like that once - it took 3 weekends, but cost next to nothing.

If you can clear brambles by hand enough to get a mower over the area, they will soon die back with regular attention.