Old vintage pto saws

njc110381

I've just been on youtube to watch a few videos about these things and found this... [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZbbJyJSHR4&feature=endscreen&NR=1]Cutting logs on a sawbench, Devon, England...- YouTube[/ame]

I'll just note that down as how not to do it! He's just asking to slip and cut most of the top of his body in half! Made me shiver watching it!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted by bigdave

a piece of knotty timber shot out from between the splitting blade & table & hit me square in the balls!!!!

You're kidding right?!

Probably not kidding. I had a lump of oak jump off the splitter and hit me square in the mouth:sneaky2:. A split lip and two visits to the dentist later and i was all fixed up! :biggrin:

Well the old bench saw I was watching just sold for £370! Add £100 of palletline charges to that and it just wasn't worth it so it looks like I'll have to keep searching. If anyone on here knows where I could get one for a more sensible price please let me know!

I've just had a look at the books and our ALKO sliding table saw bench cost us £450 and we had a 150 mile trip to collect. It was in a bit of aa state so we refurbished everything apart from the metal table itself which we thought was not worth the effort and should be replaced. Never got around to it though so it is still going strong.

RenewableJohn: We don't have many hills in our part of Lancashire so our table return mod is just a roof rack bungee strap. Works a treat.

I'd probably be happy to pay that for a sliding table type, it sounds about right. The one I was watching was a fixed table, no guards basic as it gets and probably adapted from belt drive. I was really hoping it would go for under £200 as I've seen a lot that have.

A friend of a friend runs a large scale agricultural sales place. I've asked him to keep a lookout and let me know if anything comes up.

Do you think £370 was realistic for a fixed table though? It wouldn't be the first time I've had to spend more than I expected to get what I need. :crying:

As always it depends... It doesn't sound that unreasonable but it would be very much down to the condition of it. Blade? Belts? etc. e.g. it was just under £300 for bearings and belts for our Liner saw bench. A TCT blade was another £120. It was £80 for a PTO shaft for the Alko.... it depends!

The best bit about an old table saw is they really are heavy duty so (in my opinion) they are worth doing up and giving a new lease of life.

I agree 100% with that. Old stuff was made so well compared to new stuff. Can you imagine one of the modern pressed steel things still working after half a century out in the rain? Not likely I'd say! It would most likely fall to bits when touched!

I'm off on holiday on Monday so maybe not getting this one was a good thing. When I get back I'll have a better picture of my post holiday finances and I'll be around to sort delivery etc. I've already sussed a guard design if I do get one of those bare blade jobs - I recon it'll work out nicely in the end.

Part of me wants to get one powered by one of those old Lister single cylinder diesel engines. My grandad worked for Listers his whole life so there's a chance he may have played a part in making them which would be pretty cool.

Dont be a skinflint there are plenty of old brown sliding top pto sawbenches about with a fully covered blade and log holder. There so safe even your granny could use them without chopping off fingers. Only time they become dangerous is if you take short cuts and decide not to use the log holder. Just remember to put on a slight uphill gradient then the log table automatically slides back and covers the blade due to gravity.

Do you know where is the best place to look for a 2nd hand sliding/swinging saw bench? Which makes should I be searching for?

We have a totally unguarded non sliding saw bench and I hate using it