are we too expensive - cancelled order

Joy Yeomans

had a lady order a larger version of our picnic table and benches made out of cedar of lebanon 8x2 s and 4x4s for legs etc so good and solid, heavy,

the pics dont really show it how big it is, as its made to seat 10/12 people took us a few days to make and a day to finish hand sand etc

she was insistant emails back and forth when she wanted it, dimensions, etc didnt take a deposit as she looked straight enough

now shes back from two weeks holiday when we should be delivering it too her she says she cant afford it and has cancelled buying it :thumbdown:

we were charging £750 for the benches and two tables to include VAT and delivery

oh and price was agreed, but her email today informs me "she cant afford it"

5976616695b01_teddinghay2012022.jpg.f70135c94ceb89757361fe79046028bc.jpg

£750 sounds fine to me considering the work youv put into it and the quality of work, add on decent materials, vat and delivery and how could it be any less really.

Trouble is they see all the mass produced rubbish at BandQ selling for a few hundred max and they might not be able to work out why yours is so much more.

Nice bench though!

Money doesn't go far enough anymore and things go wrong quickly with people behaving like they did five years ago. It looks as though she spent out on holiday? Her house will be up for sale in a couple of months!

We all need to be more careful when making or leaving products. I have plenty of people who are out when i deliver logs or want to post me a cheque.

You just have to move on from customers like this... She's overspent on holiday and suddenly realised she can't afford it...

I tend to charge 50% upfront now and 50% prior to delivery and people seem happy to pay that.

I thought I had a cracking order a few months ago for 4x tables, 6x wall hangings, 4x coffee tables - but the deposit never came through.... it's a good way to sort the genuine customers out.

It's frustrating but I'm sure you'll be able to sell that set for the same money at some point in the near future.

Certainly not too expensive - looks priced spot on to me.

:biggrin:

Seems like a fair price - I used to buy picnic benches from time to time, mainly the Winer Diner model from Tabula (very pleasant drive to go and collect them). This was 10-15 years ago and the price was about £400ish, for a smaller table in softwood (still very high quality though).

Your price seems reasonable on that basis.

You can avoid this happening by just selling stock items that way you make the sale while they are still keen and not after a period of weeks when they may have gone off the boil.

Add some on the price you were going to charge her or she will get a friend to come in on the chance you have discounted it :sneaky2:

Heard of a woman that had a load of paint mixed and then changed her mind and walked out of the shop, her husband then went in and bought it half price:thumbdown: