My 1st woodspirit

TreePuncher

hi all,

Wood craft facinates me, so i thought i would give it a go, got myself a little knife, and a "draper carving set" im sure you know the one i mean...

heres my work in progress, havent had time to finish him yet..

I tried a idea i found on the net about using Dowels for the eyes... but i messed it up lol... he looks like hes seen the Orcs from lord of the rings charging at him :laugh1: if i try the dowels again i think i will try set them back further into the head, so you cant see that its a spare dowel from my ikea desk...

how long should i be drying the wood before carving?? this was sycamore... and should i be removing the bark layer during the drying period??

many thanks

WP_000335.jpg.7452269c929517c2485384fcf1f4d825.jpg

Nice work! I have carved a few over the years but not done one for a while, I used to leave the bark on and usually leave the wood for about 6 months to a year, but some woods like Hazel when I have coppiced it carves well after a month.

heres a few of my staffs, also behind the door haha.

WoodSpirits.jpg

Nice work! I have carved a few over the years but not done one for a while, I used to leave the bark on and usually leave the wood for about 6 months to a year, but some woods like Hazel when I have coppiced it carves well after a month.

heres a few of my staffs, also behind the door haha.

WoodSpirits.jpg

they are wicked.. the sorta thing im looking to make :biggrin:

ive been cutting the wood carving them the same day... lol

is it the lenght of time drying that makes yours look darker or shaded? or do you apply something to finish them?

Cheers mate, the one on the left is Ash it was left for a year before carving and the face was given a rub over with beeswax, the one on the right is from Hazel and carved after about a month of cutting, the face of it was given a coat of linseed oil, linseed oil has a yellowing effect to the wood.

Hazel is a good wood to carve almost straight away, others like sycamore alder or even willow are good straight away. If its for a staff or walking stick you are better of with Ash or Hazel for strength, if its just a small decorative piece any wood will do.

WonkyAshWoodSpirit.jpg

AshWoodSpirit.jpg

I was asked to do a tutorial on another forum before its here if you are interested, its just a basic quick carving but fun to do.