Conservation area issue

Matthew Arnold

Under the SLA, the disctrict council will be quite likely to have the final say on things such as tree removal. Presumably there is a spec for the grass cutting etc - is there one for tree work as well?

If not, you need to submit a report stating what (in your opinion) needs to be done and the timescale for doing this.

If the SLA is silent on tree removal there are two alternatives:

1. Crack on with it, having given them notification sufficiently in advance. Let them worry about the town council, as the landowners it's their problem.

2. If you're not being paid to manage the trees, don't rush in. As above, tell them problems and suggest it can be carried out as a variance to the SLA, for extra cost.

Under the SLA, the disctrict council will be quite likely to have the final say on things such as tree removal. Presumably there is a spec for the grass cutting etc - is there one for tree work as well?

If not, you need to submit a report stating what (in your opinion) needs to be done and the timescale for doing this.

If the SLA is silent on tree removal there are two alternatives:

1. Crack on with it, having given them notification sufficiently in advance. Let them worry about the town council, as the landowners it's their problem.

2. If you're not being paid to manage the trees, don't rush in. As above, tell them problems and suggest it can be carried out as a variance to the SLA, for extra cost.

As the area falls in the town council area the district council have to ask for the town councils permission despite it being in district ownership, The trees are all selfseeded except one. There are atleast 200 trees on the site so taking 18 small things won't affect the site in anyway.

As the area falls in the town council area the district council have to ask for the town councils permission despite it being in district ownership, The trees are all selfseeded except one. There are atleast 200 trees on the site so taking 18 small things won't affect the site in anyway.

Interesting. On what basis does the district council have to ask permission? Town councils aren't local authorities so can only control what goes on in extremely limited circumstances.

Like I said, let the district council worry about the town council, that's their problem, not yours. You have no relationship with them on this matter.

As a side issue, I used to bollock my team members for referring to trees as self-seeded; a tree is a tree :001_tt2::laugh1:

The problem is liability the owners (district) have liability.They have passed it to the county via SLA.They either reassume it formally and make their own arrangements or repudiate the agreement and face penalties.This need not be confrontational.But who built a bridge that within 4 years it is rubbing against trees. Where was the tree officer then there must be a paper trail, negotiate it. I as tax payer am astounded that it ever got to this stage

I know you don't want to get in trouble by doing " the wrong thing " and need to cover your back but from what you are describing , and in my expirience the site is going to benifit from the work in all aspects and those that object because they can object will eventually see the benefits . The natural law of adjustment works in all kinds of situations .