neighbours sky tv troublesome conifers

mcs tree services

i have three 60 foot conifers in my back garden which i quite like because they provide privacy. ealier today my next door but one neighbour knocked on saying her sky tv wasnt working and the engineer had told her it was because of the conifers. She now wants me to take them down, which is a lot of work or a lot of cost if i had someone else do it.

has anyone had similar problems and are there any other options?, is it solely my responsibility? i dont want to fall out with her, otherwise i'd just refuse. cheers folks!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sky engineers are the laziest around, they always blame anything other than the equipment, because they are trained like that IMO. Ive removed a complete row of connies on the request of a Sky engineer, only for it to be a faulty lead (they found out later) :001_rolleyes: I would offer to reduce them by say 20feet as a token gesture, but if they wish to have them removed then expect them to offer some sort of financial incentive. Get them to double check all other options first though, including the fact that we are currently undergoing quite exceptional solar flare activity this year which will peak later this year. This affect all electrical equipment, including Sky.

Technically you can tell her to get stuffed - you have no duty to allow her access to a TV signal.

Ok, so in reality you might not want to do this so as to maintain good relations and all that but it gives you a bit of bargaining power.

i have three 60 foot conifers in my back garden which i quite like because they provide privacy. ealier today my next door but one neighbour knocked on saying her sky tv wasnt working and the engineer had told her it was because of the conifers. She now wants me to take them down, which is a lot of work or a lot of cost if i had someone else do it.

has anyone had similar problems and are there any other options?, is it solely my responsibility? i dont want to fall out with her, otherwise i'd just refuse. cheers folks!

HI MCS why do you need 60ft for privacy i no some one has very high trees in a small garden why not cut your trees to 15/20ft why do need 60 ft tree do you live in a mansion mate if you refuse you may fall out or cost you and neighbour lot of solicitor cost run into 10 OF thousands of pounds i no I've been there and at cost you do what to go there but some times you have too so if it cost £1500 to cut back it better for to do that then thousands in cost all the best with it jon

ha ha, no i dont live in a mansion, quite the opposite, im just reluctant to touch them because access is such a ball-ache. it seems harsh that i have to put the hours in, or put my hand in my pocket for something which seems trivial to me. i did suggest that she got cable but she thought i was joking. looks like ive got my hands full for the next few weekends. oh well:thumbdown:

ha ha, no i dont live in a mansion, quite the opposite, im just reluctant to touch them because access is such a ball-ache. it seems harsh that i have to put the hours in, or put my hand in my pocket for something which seems trivial to me. i did suggest that she got cable but she thought i was joking. looks like ive got my hands full for the next few weekends. oh well:thumbdown:

HI MCS it may seem trivial to you BUT its not to your neighbour mate and you had to cut back to 15/20ft i think you got off very light with it as it can cost £10 of thousands of pounds mate it may cost you £1000 to cut back but whats a £1000 you the saved your save thousands and you still get on with your neighbour:thumbup1: all the best with it jon :thumbup:

How close are they to the Sky dish? Do they actually block the line of sight from satellite to dish?

I know others are saying to just reduce them, but if they're a long way from neighbouring properties, and the only issue is that they're possibly (not yet proven) causing probs with Sky reception, then why should you reduce them? They're your trees, you like them. If every tree that was between a Sky dish and satellite had to be reduced, or if every building between sky dish and satellite had to be demolished, just because of Sky TV.... well, it's bonkers. What next? Potential loss of Sky TV reception as a valid objection for planning applications when a new house gets built?