conifers by railway line advice please

likeitorlumpit

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i did a few trees last year. about 25 foot from the track. Network rail just sent a couple of guys with PTS down and schedules some veg management for them up the line. The 2 guys just blew a hooter to let us know of an approaching train. they even asked how I was going to get stuff back to the private land. I said to rig it their answer was knock it this way we have saws in the van...

Jobs a goodun'

By the sounds of it though yours sounds a bit closer.

• 1 month later...

OK todays update on this work

Network Rail Manager site meeting.

Good bloke- says we need a track possession to do the work as the trains are nearly touching the trees.

That costs £28K plus cost of bussing passengers.

But they can't legally put obstacles in the publics way when they want to work on their own trees so...

He is going to allow us to piggy back one of their track possessions. That is likely to be a Sunday and may not take place for 12 months but we can do our work while the line is closed with him on site and us in Network Rail orange hi vis and blue hats.

There you go- think I did the right thing and as he pointed out- if we had caused an accident it would have been a crime scene.

Also we should be signing a BAPA (or similar) agreement but we're not going to as once again- they can't put obstacles in our way.

So thanks all and to Mick also for coming out. I'll take up your offer of a chip tip site if thats still OK. I'm guessing 3-4 loads. Apparently they still use detonators but not as a warning to operatives but as a warning to the driver to slam on the brakes as he is running into a danger area. They sound like great bonfire night bangers.:thumbup1: