Stump grinders

Lee Winger

What make you use or own? do you have a narrow access machine? do you have/use a big diesel grinder?

If you have/use a stump grinder does it go out much?

The reason I ask is I have 2 grinders and neither do that much work, and i'm thinking of selling one.

If you don't own a grinder what do you do sub stumps out,hire in a machine or leave all grinding down to the client to organise?

i pass all my stumps onto 2 local companies, in return i do all the climbing for 1 lad and all the larger climbing jobs for the other. i could have the use of an RG20 free of charge from 1 of the companies, id rather stick at what im good at though.

Im in predicament re grinder.

Looking at how to add to range of services I can provide (cost effectivly).

3 out of the last four jobs asked if I could also grind the stump and had someone knock on the door and ask if I could do one. All would need narrow access.

At the same time might not be asked to do another for 6 months! :dontknow::confused:

Here are my grinders. The towable one is a Vermeer 2465 with a 3-cyl Deutz motor. It works real good if you have access. Like I have said before it hasn't moved for 2 months, maybe longer. The third picture is a 2500-4 Carlton which has a 25 hp Kohler engine. I think it's a pretty good grinder. It is 35" wide so it will get most places and 25 hp isn't bad. It won't compare with the newer tracked grinders. I use the Carlton about once a week.

597653168c68d_equipment009.jpg.df13d83073dee5cc168ed701acde8243.jpg

597653168a5d9_equipment002.jpg.56d0291327aeab6875967f545c7a87cb.jpg

5976531686392_equipment001.jpg.7a4a355f830d70f7e544ecbab6392440.jpg

Very easy Lee. If you do any kind of volume clearence work, a 7515 would pay for itself in no time.

Last time I used one, I took out 165 big stumps in 2 days.

How much do you charge for grinding e.g. how much would you charge for a 4 ft dia stump, 2 foot high, ground out completely?