PTO Driven chipper,whats the best?

Mike Hill

Thats and old truck!?!

My Matador was built in 1942, I believe that it is still going somewhere. (If only the oily bits)

I was told my old Mog was built in '79. Look at the hour meter on the end of the engine, if it looks a bit leggy, don't cry, go to an Ag breakers - Merc engines were fitted to combines which are only used for a few weeks a year.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the combine engine has the right pump settings, unlike truck engines I've seen in mogs.

Your matador might be 1942, but would you want to use it as a daily driver?

Its often not the engine or major components on mogs that give trouble, its the hundreds of little worn out parts that keep going that drives you to distraction. (I speak from experience)

The Budget is a bout 10 to 15 thousand pounds sterling for the the Truck and chipper.I am pretty set on a U1000 due to our short travel distance's,very tight acess etc.I've trawled the intertnet and there is a huge difference in price of what is advertised in the UK and what they sell for in Europe.

One that dumps to the rear is fine,the three way dumping feature some have is not really worth it for me.Yeah I know 1979 is old,but then it won't have any electric engine management or modern stuff I am unfamiliar with,it all depends on the condition of the unit I guess.But like i said,its the only U1000 around for sensible money I could find and I aim to have this unit,complete,painted,signed and de bugged before next spring.

Mine came from a rogue in Tewkesbury. The exhaust the he'ed fitted fell of within two weeks, the stench pipe for the cab, guard and fittings cost nearly £900 plus vat. The silencer had then to be cut to fit. Some parts can only be had from MB orsourced from broken ones, so good parts can cost an awful lot.

The Budget is a bout 10 to 15 thousand pounds sterling for the the Truck and chipper.I am pretty set on a U1000 due to our short travel distance's,very tight acess etc.I've trawled the intertnet and there is a huge difference in price of what is advertised in the UK and what they sell for in Europe.

One that dumps to the rear is fine,the three way dumping feature some have is not really worth it for me.Yeah I know 1979 is old,but then it won't have any electric engine management or modern stuff I am unfamiliar with,it all depends on the condition of the unit I guess.But like i said,its the only U1000 around for sensible money I could find and I aim to have this unit,complete,painted,signed and de bugged before next spring.

Hiya sorry we never managed to catch up on the mog discussion, things have been hectic my end ! Chipper wise Farmi are great but have a look at side feed TP230 that's what I run and it's been great for roadside working, and also on narrow short drive ways. You can allways park on the road and stack brash up the drive. Good hunting ;)

Just re-read this thread, as Ed said try as hard as you can to at least get a U1200 same size as the 1000 but the turbo makes alot of difference.

Having said that I'd choose a tidy U1000 over a ragged U1200 if it came down to that.

As Ed has said at work we run a 900 with a 10" (260) farmi. Solid as. My only complaint is the drive chain. it really needs semi constant Lube. We aim for a good spray of chain lube every hour or so. As with all chains no lube and it siezes in no time.

pretty problem free running. Nice simple wood cutter design. very little to go wrong. (we did however bypass the quick release on the valve block so we didn't have to wait for it to stop before turning the spout. but i never said that cos its unsafe)

79 is an old machine to run day in day out. I'd say try and get a winch and butt plate up front. doubles up as a small skidder, self rescue, tree-puller-overer.

Weemog.jpg

Jamie