PTO Driven chipper,whats the best?

Mike Hill

Not having had much experiance with these,I was wondering what brands are to be recomended?I plan on mounting one on a "swing away" mount to attach to the back of a Unimog.Everything is expensive here in Norway,so was wondering if anyone knows of dealers or manufacturer's in Germany?Thats where I'm going "Mog shopping".

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All depends what use you are putting the mog and chipper to and what diametre you want to chip. If it is all forestry or estate work then size is not really an issue but if you are doing urban arb work then you may find it difficult to park the whole rig in the street. I have seen a lot of chipper/mog combinations that look very unwieldy when in an urban setting.We have a nice clean TP150 at our Cannock depot. Speak to Jonathan Tonks on 01543 509205 or visit our web http://www.orangeplant.co.uk

I ran a U1000 uprated to 125hp with a rear mounted GreenMech 9". Worked well for me - ran it all day long at 1000 speed, which made it quiet and economical. Tidy unit in all, but it did leak a bit so we had to carry a drip tray for domestic work.

Its funny, but I think Mogs adapt better to urban work than to heavy forestry and land clearance.

One thing I would do, and I think Treebogan might have the same idea, is have a compact mount for the chipper, NOT the 3 point linkage. On the 3PL, the chipper tends to hang to far out the back, compresing the rear springs and forcing the front up.

Treebogan, dont bother buying a used farmi. They are such a good deal new, its not worth it.

I've been in touch with the factory in Finland,but want to have a look at the used prices on gear that they have in stock.

I am still of two minds wether I will mount the chipper on a swing away mount or make a system that I completely detach it from the truck for dumping (dumping is a rare and exciting event here).

I will give some thought to running two hydraulic jacks as feet when you uncouple the chipper,or I might use rams and be able to run these off the trucks hydraulic system?

I am looking at a U1000 that has 190 000Km on the clock,its an old one 1979.But its the only tipping U1000 that I can find.I have heard good things about the ex council Unimogs and this is one of them.What I'd really like to find out is when the council auctions take place?Anyone out there know?