What do you do with your chip?

What do you do with your chip  

74 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do with your chip

• Store it and sell it to biomass companies
    • Store it and sell it yourself
    • Give it away to who ever will take it that day
    • Give it away to one or two specific places (e.g. menage)
    • Pay to dispose of it

I was waiting for the Bolam reply!!

Those that give it away to allotments etc do you end up driving around a few to find one willing to take that day or are they all begging for it all the time?

The reason I started this thread was today I took a load to a local tree nursery that has had some from me before. I was about 1/2 an hour from the yard so saving an hour on a chip run would help the day. They had a full chip bay and 2 other tipper loads at the far end of the car park. They took it but said no more for a long time. I was just wondering how those without a yard managed? What about all the rakings, root balls, etc that need burning?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There always seems to be someone:thumbup1:

Selling is not something we do though- much better to get rid as close to the job as possible.

There is a farmer near here who composts local authority green waste and I keep meaning to approach him. Probably give it though- just not worth the aggro doing it any other way

We have a list of people in most of the areas we work who will take chip or wood or both. If we don't the office is tasked with finding somewhere. Better to give it away and keep the lads working than waste time bringing stuff back home. There's little space at our place for storage so some energy has gone into finding local drop sites. The lads know where most of them are or they are programmed into the satnav.

On highway sites we blow it into the verge where we can. With a good sized team producing 15-20 tonnes of chip a day that's a lot of down time if we have to cart it away.

Rakings go on the burn pile.