Cherry Tree and Bush appear mostly dead

Jonty

Question

Hi All

I wonder if some kind sole could help diagnose the issue with the cherry tree and (unknown type of) bush in the pictures.

Both the tree and bush were perfectly healthy at the start of the year with normal leaf growth. After we had a very late harsh frost the tree looked decidedly unwell with wilting leaves from teh base to about 2/3rds of the way up. New leaves then formed but have since died. It's hard to see in the pictures but basically we now only have leaves on the top 3rd of the tree with everything below that looking dead and decaying.

More recently a bush which up until abotu 5 weeks ago was looking fine is now showing the same symptoms (much easier to see in the pictures). The bush is situated about 20 feet from the tree.

Would greatly appreciate knoing what is wrong and also is it likely to spread to other neighbouring trees? What would be ther best course of action with these 2?

Many thanks in advance.

cherry.jpg.15acbd6f92d495acad165f3b874f0752.jpg

cherry2.jpg.763b24333003aac94b3dc45bf095e7a5.jpg

bush2.jpg.36334ce6d3c3be7bbea5307607eb54ff.jpg

bush1.jpg.9fce08588d00263c6f9005b3aa1a6d07.jpg

7 answers to this question

Hi there, Its hard to tell with the bush as i cant see the leaf all that well so not 100% but it looks like a Philladelphus from here, and your cherry tree albeit isnt well it isnt the frost that did it as its the bottom leaf thats dying off, not the top, try looking for pests on the remaining stems and it could also be a root problem, try a good prune later in the year and keep a close eye on it. it doesnt look fungal either from your pic but again not 100%. Pruning and feed with bone meal later in the year should help next year,

Thanks, Will try the pruning and feed suggestions. What are the chances of this spreading to other trees? (difficult question I know)

I have a young (5rys) orchard on the other side of the stonewall to the aggected cherry and would rather those trees weren't affected.

Thanks again!

well it still could be blossom wilt but im inclined to think not as that doesnt just affect lower growth, if you are worried try a copper fungacide and that will take a shot at the wilt but really its a bit late for that now. Pick all of the affected leaves off mate and that should stop it spreading as if it is fungal it will spore from that point, without identifying the cause i cant really say how your orchard will fare, dont let the disease spread as much as possible and regularly check your other trees, blossom wilt is closely related to peach leaf curl so only susceptible plants will be affected, the shrub in your picture looks quite gubbed to me and considering the risk to other plants ,as it may be a carrier, id rip it out if it isnt worth much to you, let me know how you get on and if you have any problems give me a shout,

mick