346 and 346xp

georgeburgess

Hi guys...

Bit confused, is the 346 Husqvarna the same as a 346XP?

Would you rate them? I have found a 346 for sale for £165 at a local dealer second hand.

It'll just be used for firewood and light felling perhaps.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks

George

Yep . The 346 only comes as an XP . The " lesser" saw in that capacity/ model is a a 345 . The 346 xp is a cracking saw , I have one ( tuned by spud ) making it even better . It is now superseded by the 550XP also a cracker . If its a genuine one and working as it should I would say its a bargain . Maksure its not a 345 with a 346 starter cover fitted . Also a 346 has quick releice top cover clipds a 345 has screws .

I thought the 346 with the orange clutch cover had a 46cc engine and the 346xp with the silver cover has a 50cc engine. Apart from that I believe they are the same.

Stuart.

Yep . Spot on . 50cc one has decomp the other does not .

The 346XP 45cc has a different air filter mount on the earlier models and the exhaust bracket was different plus the later silverside 50cc model had a bulb primer to make starting easier - there are probably a few more differences!

The 345 is a decent saw, 45cc and will work really well on a 15" bar. It isn't a 346xp but is still light, revvy, good AV and you will enjoy using it. The price, if it has a little warranty is about right if it is in decent nick.

The 345 is more a homeowner saw as it is open transfer port and no oiler adjuster but is still a punchy little number.

All 346XPs had clip type top cover retainers and the 345 has three screws retaining the top cover - easiest way of identification.

The 346 has a die cast alloy crankcase, the 345 is a clam type engine in a plastic cradle.....you did ask:001_rolleyes:

I have a 345, it was purchased in haste when another saw took a dump and i needed to finish cutting in a parcel of Larch a few years back.

Its not a bad saw, as said before not a 346xp, but for lighter work its not bad at all. Mine came with a 18" bar and it is ok in softwood, but would recomend 13"-15" if being used in hardwoods etc.

The only problems i have found are the fuel line seems to perish easily, and the oil filler cap sheared off when tightening it up, only by hand, but need a combi tool to release it, and i think this weakened it. if im ultra critical the screw down cover is a bit of a bind when filter cleaning is needed.

It still gets used when i want a light saw and the 346xp is otherwise engaged, but would go for the xp if possible everytime!