Lots of questions

New here and have lots of questions about carving and especially finishing. Been reading the back threads hoping to answer some of them. Been thinking about carving for the past 15 years then a couple weeks ago I cut up a Oak tree that fell behind my house a year or so ago and carved up a few things out of it. Know I'm hooked and want to up grade my saw and learn some finishing tips for out door carvings. Thinking about a Stihl but not sure what model is best for carving and what clear finish is best for out door. Lowe's has Cobalt(might have spelled wrong) spar urethane for outdoors. If that would work do you thin the first coat? Do you put linseed oil first and can you paint some oil paint on first? Thanks for any and all help. Here's my first carvings.

DSC06012.jpg.8d819248c1c9a064c02ca2dc4e4565b5.jpg

DSC05997.jpg.f972bc5577dc75a14fa0a953b8589713.jpg

DSC05998.jpg.8ae064ae8ef62e120c2eeb2f2f528086.jpg

DSC06014.jpg.7e0e0dc8ccfbeba8119c16ff6fa7f01d.jpg

Hi S.C.

Nice size of back garden for carving in! Nice carvings.

Just started myself but only mushrooms! Splinters on the forum suggested decking oil as a finish. I used it and although it states clear on the tin it gives a slight orange colour. Maybe just bringing out the colour in the larch.

It certainly waterproofs and appears to maybe slow drying and prevent cracks.

I'm sure someone will have advice re a saw to suit your needs.

Al the best

Brian

Hi, some great carvings there mate. Day of the dead/grateful dead stuff is cool.

As monkieman says decking oil is a good product, dries fast leaves no residues like linseed oil and has uv and anti fungal properties too.

As for carving saws, best is stihl 200/201 back handle, 192 if you can get one,181/180 or 170/171

All depends on your budget and how much work you'll be doing.

I'm soon to be trialing an old 010av if I can get it working :lol:

Echo do some light saws but parts will be easier with Stihl.

That's my two pence, good luck with your new saw.

Cheers,

Si

Thanks for the info - So just some decking oil and that's it. Sounds easy. Local dealer has a 192 in stock but might look at the Echo's some to. The saw I have now is a John Deere but I think it was made by Echo and it's been a good one except the body bushings are wore out now and they no longer make them. The saw is 26 years old. Thanks

Hi S.C. welcome

if you can get a 192 then buy it. if not a 181 is good for hobby carving and a lower budget ora 201 for more heavy use.

i use ronseal decking oil with wax in it to seal my carvings paint it on asps after carving to slow down drying.