working in water.

detritus21

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we are talking a full list of our safety precautions its something like this,

Life Jacket

Throwline

First aid kit, survival bag, foil blanket

Chainsaw trousers type C

Boots, wellies or waders chainsaw protective

Chainsaw jacket if appilicable

chainsaw on strop

Bio chain oil

hand wipes/hot water & soap

tractor or land rover winch

possibly a boat

a very detailed emergency plan

we also have to take into account water levels and flow rates etc. I agree winching out is best but they usually means someone has to go in first anyway to sling/rig it

the list above isn't exhaustive it smost of the daily precautions and I'm bound to have missed a few on crimbo wind down

I’m not rising to the bait! :001_tongue: It’s good that we’re raising the subject of risk and risk assessments. We are required to assess the level of risk to ourselves and employees by law. I was recently disciplined by my employer because there was an insufficient paper trail relating to a particular job. I for one will be completing method statements, generic and site-specific as well as risk assessments.

must admit, i generally make sure my co-worker is watching me work, not chainsawing, or on the phone, or more than a few yards away, they must be as close as is safe and watching carefully, there are so many additional safety factors to consider, if a branch moves on the ground you can see it, if its underwater its very tricky to see whats going on, this is where the second pair of eyes higher on the bank can be of benefit,

Matt did you have to do drysuit training? as i know several places that wont sell them to the public

In many cases it would be difficult to justify not bringing in a machine.

The HSE "where reasonably practicable" is not easily avoided.

In the event of a reportable incident, a response of "it would cost a thousand quid to do it safely" would not wash.

Personally, on a lot of sites I would like to see long reach machines used,but I want a chance to climb first! :sad: