I passed PA1+PA6, but need more info

berkshire_boy

Hello all,

Yesterday I passed my PA6, and passed my PA1 a week beforehand. Which I was well happy about. I done the course mainly to use roundup on pavements etc. I have my own business (2yrs nw).

However I've been left with a few questions that as I work for myself (and not someone else) I don't feel I got answered.. so here goes...

1a) So when I get the certificate (PA6) - do I register straight away with NRoSO National Register of Sprayer Operators - is this compulsary? (I believe it is),

1b) and when I have done this am I know fully licenced to use pesticides... or is there any other agency I have to register with?

----

2a) Where do I buy the actual Glyphosate (roundup) concentrate? what volumes can you buy it in? Most of what I have seen looks to be home use stuff (spray straight away sort of job, no mixing etc).

2b)when purchasing pesticides, do I have to show the certificate?

----

3) As I will not be using a lot of the stuff, can someone point my in the right direction of a cheap travel storage bin to hold 2/3 bottles of roundup concentrate.

4) How do I go about finding the best pesticide for a job? is this in the blue book?

I think thats all. The courses (PA1 + PA6) were very useful. It just didnt seem to give me enough information in regards to where to get it from, and not a lot of information on what pesticides to use and when. Is there other courses that elaborate on this?

many thanks,

berkshire_boy

Wow just a few questions hey.

Ok so register yes but it's really only for big self propelled sprayers I.e farms.

Buying yes you do have to show you can use them, unless it fleabay, and you can get them from most agri suppliers. Not sure what is up your way but getting it delivered would only cost you more.

Yes you are fully licensed to use.

I buy in 25ltre containers. For travelling you can just keep it in the container it came in, unless mixed then it has to be in the knapsack sprayer that passes the tests you would have done on your course.

Yeah the blue book is good or just look into the reps for chemicals, or the labels on the containers.

I don't think roundup is that good, we have just changed to gallop 360. Seems to do a better job so far than roundup.

Many thanks Rich for the information. I'll definately look into the gallop 360.

In your opinion is it worth me NRoSO registered if it's not required?

I'll wait for the certificate and check out the nearest agri suppliers.

Many thanks again.

Edited by berkshire_boy

A sealed container, we use the container it comes in, but you could use any that are sealed and are big enough to contain a spillage.

A good lock box with no holes is usually good enough. They must be secure with a lock so joe public can't get hold of them but cannot be allowed to create a spill.

Oh and don't forget you must have a spill kit and a supply of fresh water for emergency. God knows why with roundup as its harmless to animals but thats the rules I suppose.

The registering is a good idea as they send you any info about changes to spraying and chemicals that come about, god knows it changes enough.

the container it comes in is no good it has to be in that container in something else to provide a bunding and for security if its in a locked vehicle or storage unit then a cool box will do as there air tight and cheap

i havn't bothered with noroso and won't unless i start spraying large quantities and you cannot store chemicals in the sprayer unless the sprayer is in a bunded container but chemicals such as roundup may aswell be disposed of as they loose effectiveness if stored mixed overnight

I didn't even spot that! The blue book is fungicide, the pesticide book is green.

Roundup is a fungicide or is it a herbicide? I forget the difference.

Herbicide!

I wouldn't bother with Nroso if I didn't have every farm inspection asking to see it, biggest waste of time known to man in my eyes. We all do the bare minimum to keep up the points level and training, I'm BASIS trained but thats whole new another level!

Chemical should be stroed and transported in a locked and sealed container.....