Colleges for tree surgeon qualifications.

JackM

Hey everyone,

My name is Jack I'm 19 from the south west, I have been wanting to get onto a course for tree surgery for a number of years but now after leaving uni (a computer course) I think the time is right for me to study in this area. I am sorry if my post seems a bit noobish but I don't know many of the correct terms for this area.

Can anyone recommend any good colleges in the south west that offer tree surgery courses? I am willing to move to the college/commute to the college.

Cheers in advance!

I think Duchy college still run arb courses. why not try and gets some work with a local tree surgeon just to see if its for you. you won't be paid a great deal or unlikely to be doin much more than draging brash to start with but it will give you an idea of whether you like it before enrolling at a college. Where in the south west are you?

Hi Jack, the colleges mentioned are good, it depends on where you are in the SW and how far you want to travel. Duchy - Cornwall, Bicton - Devon, Cannington (is a part of Bridgwater College) - Somerset, and to complete the set Kingston Maurward College - Dorcherster,Dorest.

Do consider an apprenticeship as an alternative to a full time course because there is no substitute for hands on experience working on site.

Hi Jack, the colleges mentioned are good, it depends on where you are in the SW and how far you want to travel. Duchy - Cornwall, Bicton - Devon, Cannington (is a part of Bridgwater College) - Somerset, and to complete the set Kingston Maurward College - Dorcherster,Dorest.

Do consider an apprenticeship as an alternative to a full time course because there is no substitute for hands on experience working on site.

Jack, this is very sound advice from Stuart as I have seen first hand with several London..ish based 'ARB Approved Contractors' how the apprenticeship arrangement can benefit both the students/trainees and the employer.

I think Bicton do the apprenticeship scheme and possibly the others too. I know Capel Manor (N. London are very active with it.)

Good luck with everything..!

Paul