Ear defenders/plugs - advice and recommendations?

mikebarnard

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ear plugs don't suck at all, imo. The problem with ear defenders and the chipper is that ear defenders seem to let a lot of the low frequency noise through, and most chipper noise seems to be that low frequency rumble. Ear plugs seem to me to be much more effective at cutting those low frequency noises out. I bought hundreds of pairs of Uvex flange type plugs, and hundreds of the 3M foam ones - all dirt cheap, and always to hand.

I have tinnitus already, trying very hard to not let it get any worse, I use a combination of all mentioned.

For shooting I'm using a set of £30 electronic noise canceling ear defenders that cut noise over 80dbs and amplify voices etc. they don't work great with chainsaws though, not sure how they would be with a chipper.

These are what i wear....i buy a box full at a time and they last for ages. They are the most comfortable ones ive worn and have an snr rating well above the recommended level

40 Howard Leight Laser Lite Ear Plugs (FREE UK P&P) | eBay

Those are the ones I use too, I always have some with me. Great in the van on the motorway, sleeping at festivals or when next door are partying, or just when the kids are arguing :)

There are loads of different types available and you can get selection packs for a few quid and find ones that work best for you.