would this go through a processor?

tree monkey

1 cubic metre an hour? Are you sure you meant that, it does seem quite a small amount for a processor.

Our Dalen 2052 does that in about 5 mins, granted smaller stuff it will take a bit longer

Yes, it is only a small processor but 70-80 tons a year is about all I am putting through it, my firewood side is only 2 years old. While I do have a manual loading rack the bits were to short to fit it so dropping through it, so each stick was carried about 4m to the processor.

On nice timber, 8-10 inch dia and 3m or so long I can do 2 cu m an hour, output speed is limited by the splitter, you are always waiting for it, if you drop another log on top of the ram on its return it does not trigger the trip. You can adjust the trip to the point where it runs continuously, I ran it for a while like that last year but it does make so odd noises when the ram comes back to its start point. Max log dia is 300mm for a single cut, it will cut about 350mm but you have to manually turn each log after the first cut and back cut it.

Dalen 2054 is from memory a far far bigger machine, something to look forward to when I get a bit bigger !!.

A

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Must be the Turbo charged Dalen 2052 as the youtube video seems to be pretty slow and would certainly not do a m3 in 5 minutes.

It does when you feed it 20 inch pieces at 10 feet long with the 6 way splitter on!!! Its firewoodtastic!

Yes, it is only a small processor but 70-80 tons a year is about all I am putting through it, my firewood side is only 2 years old. While I do have a manual loading rack the bits were to short to fit it so dropping through it, so each stick was carried about 4m to the processor.

On nice timber, 8-10 inch dia and 3m or so long I can do 2 cu m an hour, output speed is limited by the splitter, you are always waiting for it, if you drop another log on top of the ram on its return it does not trigger the trip. You can adjust the trip to the point where it runs continuously, I ran it for a while like that last year but it does make so odd noises when the ram comes back to its start point. Max log dia is 300mm for a single cut, it will cut about 350mm but you have to manually turn each log after the first cut and back cut it.

Dalen 2054 is from memory a far far bigger machine, something to look forward to when I get a bit bigger !!.

A

the Dalen is a 20 inch machine, we are new (ish) to firewood also but can load the machine with our crane so it made sense to have a bigger machine.

If you can make a machine work for you and it doesnt break down it doesnt matter what it does as long as it does it well. Much better than splitting and cutting by hand!

OP:- It all depends on your situation. I wouldn't use a processor it will make the firewood expensive to produce.

If you want rid and the space back, send to power station.

If you aren't interested in doing the work, ebay it or sell it as is.

If you aren't affluent in a money way, nibble at it 2 hrs here and there and you have alot of relatively cheap energy for yourself to heat your home. I have done this before and its amazing what you can shift, especially if there is two of you. Say one chop with axe and one with saw and share it.

the Dalen is a 20 inch machine, we are new (ish) to firewood also but can load the machine with our crane so it made sense to have a bigger machine.

If you can make a machine work for you and it doesnt break down it doesnt matter what it does as long as it does it well. Much better than splitting and cutting by hand!

I do like the all hydraulic drive on teh Dalen, far better than a belt drive but I am not to keen on a chain bar as the cutter, how often do you need to sharpen it ?, I assume you probably have spare chains/ arms and do them all as a batch having done a fast change on site.

How does it handle 240mm long logs, ie do they drop nicley into the splitting chamber or to they tend to twist and require correction.

A

I like the look of the dalen well made and can handle stuff with a bend in it. Do you still have to buy your spares from Marshall or is their another dealer ?. We have a hakki with chain and I would go for either, chain is quieter and cheaper but produces more chip. tct more irritating noise and expensive to sharpen if you hit alot of metal. My chain loops cost me £2 ea and I electric sharpen at least 6 times ea. Ea sharpen last me a day or 16 tonnes on average so about 25p a day on chain wear.

Circular saw is what you need! :biggrin:

TCT blade on posch 300, will do well over 100 ton before needing a sharpen.

we were doing 4 cube in 45 minutes yesterday on 8 inch logs softwood.

Great machine, 3 yrs old and havent touched it austrian engineering at its best:thumbup1:

Circular saw is what you need! :biggrin:

TCT blade on posch 300, will do well over 100 ton before needing a sharpen.

we were doing 4 cube in 45 minutes yesterday on 8 inch logs softwood.

Great machine, 3 yrs old and havent touched it austrian engineering at its best:thumbup1:

i assume you are using a power deck to load it, how many cube a year do you put through it. Looks like its the next stage up from my Japa 700.

A

To be truthful, I have put through about 60-80 tonnes so far and sharpened it once, the wood we have is very clean and the saw always cuts well. I had a circular saw/ conveyor once but I prefer the bar and chain for the twisty wood.

To be truthful, I have put through about 60-80 tonnes so far and sharpened it once, the wood we have is very clean and the saw always cuts well. I had a circular saw/ conveyor once but I prefer the bar and chain for the twisty wood.

80 tons, so say 200 cube, at 4 cube an hour ( more likely 3 on average) thats 50-70 hours work, a year !. Well you certainly have the capacity for some growth unless you go contract processing with it.

A