Anyone know anything about SS flue pipe?

Stereo

I think we have it covered Alycidon and we are hopefully ‘on the same page’ here so to speak. With your log merchant hat on 20% is ok for normal use. With your stove merchant hat on 15% is best for that particular stove which you say can be achieved through indoor storage. I’m cool with that.

To answer your question, my customers logs were split and in the garage and could well have been lower than 18% on the inside.

I did a bit of googling on this last night as I didn’t understand everything in Catweazels first post.

I now know what ‘tangential shrinkage’ is, and all about ‘Equilibrium MC’ and ‘Fibre Saturation Point’. This led to an understanding of what quarter sawn logs are and why this is done (I have never understood quartersawn till now).

Fascinating stuff. :thumbup1:

I read a lot of random information in the process. One pdf from the Forestry Commission had a strong warning about burning tanalised wood as it has arsnic in it apparently.

If we get talking about quarter sawn timber, it would be a ten out of ten on the derail front.:001_smile:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read a lot of random information in the process. One pdf from the Forestry Commission had a strong warning about burning tanalised wood as it has arsnic in it apparently.

And the arsenic or some of it at least finishes up in the ash, spread that on your spud crop and you will have a poisoning issue when you eat them.

A

One pdf from the Forestry Commission had a strong warning about burning tanalised wood as it has arsnic in it apparently.

I didn't have much problem with cca in use, it was the chemicals that were used at the stake plant before and the pollution when disposed of that were the problem. That and the treatment was seldom properly done.

Chromated copper arsenate has three poisonous ingredients but its probably the hexavalent form of chromium that's released on burning that can cause long term damage. When its fixed in the wood it's the trivalent form.

I thought it was banned now except for some long life products ( roofing timbers?).

The stuff used now is an organic copper salt, as far as I can see it's nowhere near as effective, which might cause problems for nitwork rail soon.

Hang on chaps...my derail is down the quarter sawn route as Peter has picked up on nicely:001_smile:

If I'd known the arsenic bit was gonna be quoted so much, I might have spelt it right the first time. :001_smile:

Interesting post again catweazel...I'm going to search for something you don't know about:001_smile:

Edited by Albedo