Makita 7901

Woodworks

Stihl and Husqvarna are the top saw manufacturers in the world, they have more agents and a far better supply and longevity of spares.

Makita purchased Sachs Dolmar a few years ago to get in to the saw market.

Their saws are fine as far as I know but spares and service will always be more difficult than the top two.

I can pick up spares easily for saws 10 - 20 years old - quick repair turn around is generally important for jobbing arbo types:thumbup:

BTW - I am not knocking the Makita saws - I don't know enough about them to do so:lol:

ive found a shop in derbyshire that can supply old sachs dolmar parts easily

recently got anti vibe mounts and some other parts for a mate s PS9000 think that was the model 3 days from order to delivery

lee mill, off a38. Bennet :001_rolleyes: mate bought a 560xp off him this week; paid well over the best price as usual :001_rolleyes:

Welcome to Medland Sanders and Twose

hehe good old Bennet. but to be fair to him I have brought a ms200 and 357 of him and he did them at very competetive prices cos I checked elsewhere both online and nearby competitors. I can rarely afford climbing kit from him tho:sneaky2:

The 372xp weighs half a pound less than the 7900/7901. The 460 weighs almost the same. Most published saw weights are marketing rubbish. The 7900 is more aggressively ported than the 372 and 460 are stock. It pulls pretty strong, but I think my 046 mag with dual port exhaust had more grunt.

The 7900 is somewhat popular on the east coast of the US. It is, by no means, a competitor to STIHL or Husqvarna for sales. The west coast is thickly husky and Stihl, and Dolmar shops are extremely rare.

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

Edited by wyk

True about distribution and dealers. However, I love the power of the 7900, and, of course, the only difference between the Dolmar and Makita is color .

I have a 6401 with a 79 cc kit in it, so it's effectively a 7901. I've barely used it, but did port the muffler. I have another 6401, with a new jug in the box. I may send that one to Mastermind (Arborist site member) to have it ported...along with my 75 cc 372XPG.....I also have had a Dan Henry woods ported 7900 for 8 years. It's still going strong, and is a near match for my dual port muffler stock 660 Stihl. That said, a woods ported 372 is as good or better. And both will usually outperform a ported 460.

How'd that happen? I've only got a baby (3501) for snedding and doing roof trusses etc, and it's all good - no problems or weak points.

Just a weakness in early models I guess. Top part where the trigger lockout sticks thru would break at the top where it clipped into the body of the saw. Warranty repaired n6 woz tho. No denying it was an angry saw but didn't seem noticeably lighter or sweeter than its competition. Air filter fouling can be a pain on the Maks too.

Thanks all for your help :thumbup:

I now feel much better informed on these saws but I cannot say I have decided which to get :confused1:

MS 460 A bit pricey but very few complaints.

372 XP The least gutsy but familiar to me as I use a Husky at the moment and

light.

7901 Not a great price from my local dealer but still a great saw for the money.

O dear I guess I just have to make a decision on gut feeling as they all have their pros and cons.

Get the 372 and send it to spud for some port work, and mebbe a gasket deletion. Even minor port work on a 372 makes a huge difference. I'd offer to do the work, but I am in the states until autumn. A ported 372 will flat out embarrass a 7900, and will pull and oil a longer bar.

• 3 weeks later...

Just been to MST (thanks TimberCutterDartmoor)

Sadly no MS460 in stock to look at but had a chance to see an MS441 :001_tt1:. I have to say this felt beautifully balanced but does an MS460 feel the same? Would the MS441 be OK? I realize it is less power but Stihl list it with a 25" bar or are they being optimistic? Also doing a good deal on the 7901, decisions decisions! :banghead:

Sorry for more questions:blushing: