Deadwooding Scots Pine

AlvinD

Jesus Christ!!! What's wrong with you people??? Do you not value your time at all?? Have you no experience of pricing or even working for that matter?

When I read the first post, I was honestly expecting to scroll down and see "haha I was only winding you all up" and instead there's someone else working for nothing too.

The whole industry is going further and further down the pan and this is the reason why!!

HEAR HEAR!!!!!!!!

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?b3kv02

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you pay rent or a mortgage?

I do not pay a mortgage, after abit of thinking about what I had posted. I've came to the conclusion that given I do not have the variables a bigger business may require, and tailored to my requirements, the £70 suited me down to the ground but I will admit that in future, I will reassess my pricing structure reflecting how I value my time etc

4 trees may sound a lot but each one didnt take many mins to throw a line up put an anchor in and chuck out the deadwood. i suspect many firms would have quoted more. For me with minimal overheads (i do have the correct insurances, ppe, lolered climbing kit etc) What could easily have been £35/hour/man is ample. If you work on 5 hours a day at those rates to allow for quoting, travel etc its easy for a small time setup to make money. I appreciate this is all together differnt for bigger setups and would be unfair to compare them.

Fair point although Im basically a one man band now . I would still put a price of £140 but then again I didnt see the job . All that matters is that your comfortable with your pricing :thumbup:

One hour should always be a lot more than an eighth of your day rate if that makes sense. Its called economies of scale or something.

Thats why a large jar of marmite cost less than 4 quarter size jars.

So what I do is charge double for the first hour and the last hour is free. So if I do four one hour jobs in a day I get paid double for each, but if someone want me 7hrs or 8hrs then its the same full day rate, I cant make up that extra hour. This means I would get paid more for two half day jobs than I would for a full day, and that is how it should be. The client is not gettting great value per hour but then they only want a tiny stupid job doing and that has to be more exensive.

Large multiple day jobs are far better value to the customer but then its only one quote/visit so much easier for me aswell.

You no what your happy with but it sounds cheep to me i put two blokes a chipper out at 600£ on a day rate. So work out how much you want to earn a day then divide by 8 there's your hourly rate. When something breaks you need to be able to replace it with out worrying and the only way to do that is charging enough. I will not start a saw for anything under 150£ its not worth it

Fair point although Im basically a one man band now . I would still put a price of £140 but then again I didnt see the job . All that matters is that your comfortable with your pricing :thumbup:

Disagree - all the matters is as an industry we are keeping standards high and ensuring our pricing reflects the work we do

Pricing stuff at 70 quid is pointless.

I try and stick to £100 minimum charge, simple. if its worth £20, the quote is still £100.

I really don't see the point otherwise, by the time you calculate time, fuel, effort and everything else, I might as well stay at home and watch the TV.

lets not forget NO job takes an hour! from loading the truck to unloading at the next job I bet its more like a few hours.

Undercharging is devaluing this business. Its a shame the public cant see through it... If Joe public was getting a quote to build a house they would think twice about choosing the quote that is half the price of the professional outfit! Because people seem to know the risks of cheap builders and plumbers but tree work isnt so educated, so its up to the people working in this sector to ensure it is common knowledge that customers pay what the work is worth!

I agree with your £140 by the way...