MS 230 issues

Dobson89

My ms 230 has been playing up, cutting out when idling, then very slow to rev up, similar to starting a saw from cold, ie too much throttle and it will cut out. Its had a new air filter, fuel filter and plug. Still at a bit of a loss, Im not very mechanical minded but would rather fix it myself. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Si.

I get similar every now and then. Check the H and L screws are at factory settings (refer to manual) and see if that helps: they made need a fine tune from there but the saw should run well enough. If that doesn't do the trick you need better advice than I can offer.

Is the plug tight? I once finger tightened a plug on a saw a then went to answer the phone, came back and forgot to finish tightening it. Drove me mental for a bit when it would only just start and ran badly.

It sounds like the L screw may be wound in a bit much - it should be one turn out.

Worth checking the gauze filter in the carb under the large single screw cover - that can cause this sort of issue.

Air leaks in the inlet boot can also give this sort of fault as it leans the mix down too much.

I've also had bother with mine doing very similar things to this.

1st time if you take the top cover off the carb to access the metering diaphram this model breaths just through a hole in the top and not through the air filter like more pro saws and as such gets a build up of dust on top of the metering diaphram and cuts fuel supply.

2nd time it turned out to be the fuel line from the tank to the carb it has a pretty bad bend in it and mine had got perished and started sucking air, lucky realised before doing any harm to P&C.

Probably neither but thought it might help. :biggrin: