biomass

Charleton Chips

Lots of questions...

Can't answer them all but the big biomass stations can definitely burn waste wood (e.g. from demolition). They even have to take into account the amount of paint / varnish on it and slightly reduce the amount of ROCs (green electricity certificates) that are claimed as a result.

Yes low grade waste wood can be and is used. Obviously more time consuming to handle can damage shedders due to foreign articles. Fire doors can contain large asbestos sheets. Old timbers lead paints etc etc. Pallets are a good source. The Problem of keeping dry and potential fire hazard as well.

The local waste transfer stations here have a history of arson and bursting in to flames because of heat build up.

If you can get hold of local arb waste and turn it regularly under a shed it will dry itself out. Preferably in dormant season to cut out green moisture material. (deciduous)

Depends on your boiler specs. The more efficient the boiler generally the drier the timber needs to be. I have stuck to G30 spec rather than keep changing sieves but vary the moisture content depending on boiler with moisture content of 25% 35% or 55%. I only do virgin timber as I value my chipper and it does not like nails or laminated timber. If its not virgin then it also needs testing to verify the non virgin element which affects the Roc's payments.

Depends who you are intending on supplying with chip. My friend is the largest contractor for supplying chip in the north east and he does not buy it in, it is all produced from virgin timber which is stipulated in the contracts he has with the end user. He has approached a number of companies about supplying walking floor trailers of chip but they can either not guarantee its virgin timber, cannot guarantee supply or the most popular one... they simply do not return phone calls or e-mails!

Heizohack are quality machines but you do need 1000 rpm pto to drive them and a tractor with a good bit of grunt. My machine is smaller than the 5-400 but still eats trees with ease. Most of my timber is thinnings and brash extracted within the forest so 3 point link was more important than having a larger trailed machine