Climate change- discuss

They say one should not crap on ones own doorstep, man has been doing this for 1000's of years, oh yes, charcoal and iron started this.(1200 BC – 400 AD)

And then we discovered coal, although Coal was one of man's earliest sources of heat and light. The Chinese were known to have used it more than 3,000 years ago.

either way, 3000 years of carbon emissions.

I know theres forest fires and volcanoes (60% of carbon output) BUT our issues are not just carbon, they are heat=ecosystem changes, Acidification= ocean chemistry is changing, nitrification of all land on earth, diversity failing anf food sources being increasingly nutrient poor.

I wanted to see what everyone thought about climate change with as serious and accurate start as a basis.

I am afraid the human race is indeed lost, for it is not going to be the Governments of this world that change this it is only within YOUR powers to change this, and we havent even acknowledged the very real threat facing humanity, starvation is No1

that may happen In OUR lifetimes, if you thought live aid was about hard times, you have seen nothing yet.

Goes back way before that Tony, the first paddy fields in china (releasing methane), the first clearances.

I heard quite I good argument on radio4, that without mans affect on the climate over the last 10000 years, we could have entered another serious ice age, that could have killed millions.

TBH, I really don't think we are any where near knowing what affect if any we are having on climate and whats just normal cycles (if there even is such a thing)

Really makes me laugh when we have flooding or a drought and people blame GW, but then say "this is the worst flood for 100 years" or "this is the hottest its been since records began" and you then realise records began 150 or at best 400 years ago, thats seconds ago in real terms.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goes back way before that Tony, the first paddy fields in china (releasing methane), the first clearances.

I heard quite I good argument on radio4, that without mans affect on the climate over the last 10000 years, we could have entered another serious ice age, that could have killed millions.

TBH, I really don't think we are any where near knowing what affect if any we are having on climate and whats just normal cycles (if there even is such a thing)

Really makes me laugh when we have flooding or a drought and people blame GW, but then say "this is the worst flood for 100 years" or "this is the hottest its been since records began" and you then realise records began 150 or at best 400 years ago, thats seconds ago in real terms.

your in need of facts huck not radio programs! check prehistoric ice cores and ocean sediments.

Sorry, I can't help but turn off when I start seeing yet another slickly edited video on the subject, with pertinent music, a voice over by an eminent [always American] authority, footage of people happily living the modern way.... not saying it didn't have a point, just that it's the same one we always hear from 'that quarter'.

Tony, I love mother earth, I appreciate her beauty and give thanks for what she gives us every day and lament what we as a species are doing to her. I also fear for my children, and when they arrive, my grandchildren.

So perhaps the thing to do if we really care about our descendents and the planet is not create them in the first place. A few well to do middle class English people not breeding won't save the world, but our enlightenment could at least prevent our descendents from suffering the inevitable.

A huge shift is coming, just like it has before. Early inhabitants of earth had ignorance to protect them, they never saw it coming. We can see it coming, we can predict its effects, we even think we can change it. But we can't, not really, not with the momentum man has gained over the last couple of thousand years, despite what scientists constantly prove or disprove, and that makes the tragedy so much worse.

This is bigger than our feeble minds and bodies.

My approach is to enjoy and appreciate what we have, while we have it. Look after that which surrounds us and spend time with those we love, because all we have is here and now.

We're a flash in the pan.... don't waste your time here....

Tony, always a good topic for debate.

You say that starvation is the number 1 threat facing the human race, but by all accounts global warming will have a far more significant impact and I believe that a significant reduction of the human race will in fact reduce any effect we may be having on climate change. The two will work hand in hand.

The current human population is propped up by artificially grown food and artificially cheap energy supplies and when these come to an end in the not too distant future the house of cards we live in will come crashing down. Not good for us, but cant be a bad thing for every other species and organism on earth. As others have said we are just ants and easily wiped out the way when mother nature sees a need. We are just along for the ride.

We tend to look at everything in the short term while nature thinks and works long term so we are way out of sync with nature and we humans will definitely be the ones coming off second best.

In response to some of the other contributors:

The picture of a future London - not that different to today really, bit of a tip and having escaped the place wouldnt want to return :lol:

The person claiming politicians listen to their constituents and adjust policies accordingly is either living in cloud cuckoo land or needs to tell me where he lives so I can move there ASAP. :confused1:

Marko - nice quote from Ghandi, he was a smart one.

Some people heavily involved with Live Aid in the 80's admit that they should have done more wrt birth control as deluging the place with food just ensured that there were more survivors that the land could not support in the next drought cycle - as has been the case.

Worcwuss(?) - the UK might be geographically small, but is apparently responsible for approx 2% of the worlds CO2 emissions due to our excessive footprint. Cant find the source for that at the moment.

Sorry, I can't help but turn off when I start seeing yet another slickly edited video on the subject, with pertinent music, a voice over by an eminent [always American] authority, footage of people happily living the modern way.... not saying it didn't have a point, just that it's the same one we always hear from 'that quarter'.

Tony, I love mother earth, I appreciate her beauty and give thanks for what she gives us every day and lament what we as a species are doing to her. I also fear for my children, and when they arrive, my grandchildren.

So perhaps the thing to do if we really care about our descendents and the planet is not create them in the first place. A few well to do middle class English people not breeding won't save the world, but our enlightenment could at least prevent our descendents from suffering the inevitable.

A huge shift is coming, just like it has before. Early inhabitants of earth had ignorance to protect them, they never saw it coming. We can see it coming, we can predict its effects, we even think we can change it. But we can't, not really, not with the momentum man has gained over the last couple of thousand years, despite what scientists constantly prove or disprove, and that makes the tragedy so much worse.

This is bigger than our feeble minds and bodies.

My approach is to enjoy and appreciate what we have, while we have it. Look after that which surrounds us and spend time with those we love, because all we have is here and now.

We're a flash in the pan.... don't waste your time here....

if we made it, we can change it, its simple, but not with an attitude like yours im afraid to say, no disrespect your in the majority of shoulder shruggers.