Coz I just don't know!!!

woodworm

Really admire you guys who climb up trees and cut bits off every day, I would s!!@t myself before I got 10 feet up off the ground, but what I want to know is how do you get the ropes up and over the branches to be enable yourselves to hang from them? Do you climb up a bit at a time without a harness and then throw the rope over and then climb a bit more? Please explain:confused1:

Thanks

Woodworm

i,m not a climber , but worked with a few. They simply climb to the top of the tree , find a decent anchor point and go from there, i say simply, i,m sure its not that simple. Although todays climbers may be taught differently

Method 1.

Coil up a length of rope and toss it over the lowest branch of the tree. Attach yourself to rope, ascend, coil up tail of rope, toss over next branch, attach, ascend, repeat as required.

Method 2.

Fire a throwline high into the canopy and over an isolated branch. Attach climbing rope to throwline and pull into place. Ascend up to tieing in point (TIP).

Method 3.

Use fibreglass/aluminium poles with a hook on the end to position rope in tree.

Method 4.

If tree is being removed completely then use of spikes makes it a whole lot easier!

Is this how you guys do it now,seems really slow to what ive seen, i suppose its all to do with h & s.

Brilliant thanks. Everyday's a school day and now i know how its done. I still admire and respect you lot for doing it.:thumbup:

Im with you on that. I mainly stated using arbtalk for the info on firewood but find the stuff on climbing facinating dont understand half of it but still intresting:thumbup:

They're the methods I use, along with SRT access (method 5). I suppose a pro footlocker or MEWP access would be a lot quicker.

I must admit when it comes to climbers and their tecniques i,m living in the 1970s/80s/90s but i still believe that they were a lot faster than todays climbers although probably more accidents occured. I have nothing but respect for climbers,i can remember thinking that looks easy , until i climbed off the ladder into the tree, you could hear my knees knocking miles away.

Strongly disagree, a fast climber is a fast climber regardless of the kit or techniques employed. The job has been made easier by new developments, I for would not want to go back to 3 strand cable lay ropes and all the other old school gear. The basic techniques haven't changed, there are just more options now.

I went to Center Parcs at Nottingham last year with family, and did the climbing up poles course thingy beside the rope slide. Wife and kids all did it first, up about 30ft off the ground with harness on and dancing like a chicken on the horizontal telegraph pole. I got up there,(43 year old 6'3" 18 stone bloke) and froze. It took them nearly 20 minutes to get me down again, never been so scared in my life:blushing::scared1:

Strongly disagree, a fast climber is a fast climber regardless of the kit or techniques employed. The job has been made easier by new developments, I for would not want to go back to 3 strand cable lay ropes and all the other old school gear. The basic techniques haven't changed, there are just more options now.

I,m far from an expert on this, but as an example: lombardy poplar on open ground ( no sheds/fence/greenhouses etc) my climber ,rope harness,spikes saw, what equipment would make his job faster? only asking cos i,m interested to keep up

I can't do it on the iPad but maybe someone can put the link up for me.

I have seen a few videos on YouTube and the best I have seen to explain on how to get a rope in a tree and climb is

Cornell tree climbing, they have a video of using a throwline and getting a cambium saver up the tree with the throwline aswell. Good videos IMO