Spraying work charges per metre

evergreen

Hi Guys

Ive been asked by a local council to give a rate per metre for knapsac spraying glyphosate on footpaths and kerbing along roadsides. Ive never been asked this before normally just priced up fixed areas. I can see the logic behind it because the council can work out how much they can budget for in the season.

A rough calculation I made was based on £22.50/hr. Which is 37.5p/second. I thought path and kerbside would take 4 seconds per metre. So £1.50 per metre.

Am I way off the mark here?

I would be happy to know what others are charging for this sort of service.

Cheers

Nick

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im revising my original costing maybe to 2 seconds per metre. So 75p/metre.

All comments gratefully appreciated.

Nick

You need a new calculator

6pence a second more like

how far can you walk with a knapsack in 1 minute-

3miles /hr

4500metres/hr

4500metres/3600seconds

round it up = 2seconds per metre

knapsack rate has to include stops to fill every say 5-10mins depending on volume

include this in your calc.

Round here the contractors use quad bikes with a big tank on- they motor at about 5-8mph. This must be the most competitive way to do it.

Add in costs of chemicals- once again depends on those being used and rate

This time of year I guess it's just Glyphosate.

Good luck

Hi likeitorlumpit.

i dont need a new calculator just a new brain! I wont even tell you what i got wrong its far too embarrasing!

Thanks for the advice. I will work it out properly now and post it up for scrutiny!

Cheers

Nick

Hi likeitorlumpit.

i dont need a new calculator just a new brain! I wont even tell you what i got wrong its far too embarrasing!

Thanks for the advice. I will work it out properly now and post it up for scrutiny!

Cheers

Nick

Bear in mind its probably spot treatment so you won't be spraying every metre so you need to ask whether they are paying every metre.

I suspect they will be and the price/rate will reflect this

Hi likeitorlumpit.

Nick

I do it with time, its not been made metric yet!!!!!:001_huh:

Thanks guys, I always feel a lemon on these pricing things, but here goes.

Ive worked it out for 100m pathway and kerbing (which they asked for). Based on hourly labour rate £22.50 and 5 min refill time per 100m

labour including refilling £3.20

Glyphosate 80p

Total £4.00 + vat per 100m single side of carraigeway

Am I in the ballpark?

Hi Guys

Ive been asked by a local council to give a rate per metre for knapsac spraying glyphosate on footpaths and kerbing along roadsides. Ive never been asked this before normally just priced up fixed areas. I can see the logic behind it because the council can work out how much they can budget for in the season.

A rough calculation I made was based on £22.50/hr. Which is 37.5p/second. I thought path and kerbside would take 4 seconds per metre. So £1.50 per metre.

Am I way off the mark here?

I would be happy to know what others are charging for this sort of service.

Cheers

Nick

If it's any help the rate in Spons (2011) is £83.76 per 1Kilometer - about 5.5p a metre for power spraying by quad etc. Not a bad rate as we could spray 20 kilometers no problem in a 1/2 day.

If it's any help the rate in Spons (2011) is £83.76 per 1Kilometer - about 5.5p a metre for power spraying by quad etc. Not a bad rate as we could spray 20 kilometers no problem in a 1/2 day.

Hi Gareth

Thanks for that, is that Spons external works and landscape price book?

Also I assume thats a single side rate(If theres such a thing as that)?

I have worked out with a knapsac we can do it for 4p/metre. Its all just small scale village stuff. No streets more than a couple of hundred metres.

Please bear with me on this and I hope no offence is taken at my stupidity, but I just want to get it clear in my head.

Cheers

Nick