Im a Topper!

RC0

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know what you’re saying about the fall factor but consider also the parachute effect of falling a top i.e. is not really the equal in acceleration of a falling log, so that extra foot you mentioned probably doesn’t figure too much....especially on a top in full leaf or the conifers in the video.

If you remember the conifer right at the end, and I think another bigger one there abouts in the middle of the video, we had on both instances over 100ft below us to slow the tops down. Notice also the retention of limbs on the backside to act as a ballast, and I think even considering how much more springy conifers are the hardwoods then they didn’t turn out half bad.

Furthermore, I’ve worked on lots of dead and compromised hardwoods in the past, and especially on leaners I’ve set the block as much as 15 ft below the cut on occasion. The reason obviously being that the higher the block the greater the leverage on the tree....and in the case where the tree itself is the weakest link (and not the rigging), I’ve made that call and was satisfied thereafter it was the right one.

Remember though, this is not advice to anyone....I’m merely pointing out that the rule-book doesn’t cover all situations or in fact the overall best means for risk management. That ever popular publication ‘the art and science of practical rigging’ was part written by a guy who was killed either during or shortly after( I cant remember which)....rigging a tree. Who woulda figured that, not him obviously, poor guy, RIP. But it just goes to show. A healthy knowledge in physics is one thing, but you can’t beat experience, the right experience. If I get taken one day it won’t be through ignorance though.

I have the 5/8 polydyne, but it only comes out for best. Definitely notice the difference in the shock reduction on a spar etc. I would recommend it to anyone for that kind of work. Thanks again.

All EXCELLENT points.. and very well put.. the best of which is that there are just way too many factors to strictly go by a "rule" book.. Knowledge + Experience ... there is no substitute.. fortunately the knowledge is much more readily available through these internet boards.. there is so much knowledge shared, making it a much faster learning curve when that understanding is applied in the field..

You're a good man Reg! Thanks for sharing all you have!

It was only a 16 foot tree Carl.

Reg never published that video.

Yeah, it was a VSL if truth be told.....the block really just a redi at the bottom of the tree:biggrin:

Carl I think the last one was a leaning dead willow....and then a large co-do beech some time before that where one half had tore out at about 40ft. And in the past I've done similar where knowing I'm going to get rag-dolled because the groundworker has the look of dread in his eyes before-hand, so to limit the severity of it. In such situations I'd actually switch to 12mm rock climbing line, although I dont have any with me here.