Beginners guide to rigging.......

Adam Bourne

Hi Adam, I finally decided to become a member of this site, and your thread happens to be the first one I have read, and read it I have, from the beginning, I have to say it is possibly the best thread I have ever read, on any subject, it's incredibly informative and filled with ingenuity,

Liam

Welcome to the forum Liam and enjoy:thumbup1:

Thanks also on the thread I do hope to get it started again when I'm not so busy, I do now have all my stuff off the hard drive from my old lap top so its a start, so hopefully soon I will start posting in the thread again,

At least I know at least one person has found it usefull:biggrin:

Adam

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks also on the thread I do hope to get it started again when I'm not so busy, I do now have all my stuff off the hard drive from my old lap top so its a start, so hopefully soon I will start posting in the thread again,

Adam

Bring it on Adam... been keeping half an eye on this thread waiting for it to kick back in... real useful stuff :D

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Here you go Adam, thoughts. Unfortunately no photos but I'll describe as best I can and do you one of my funny little stickman diagrams. :001_tongue:

Dismantling 2 dead euc's over phone lines at the weekend.

Dead as hell and not entirely suitable for rigging. A mewp would have been better but for the one limb which was over the line it couldn't be justified.

I set a pulley in the adjacent dead eucalyptus, and tied onto the hanging limb as high as I could towards the tips [as high as I could climb given the nature of the limb].

The rigging tip was higher than the lowering pulley.

The lowering line came down from the branch about 30 degrees to the pulley, then down to a portawrap, back up to a 3:1 pulley & prusik then off to the groundie.

We tensioned it on the capstan to pull it up and away from the phone lines and then cut it from the opposite side while continuing to lift it. It went over centre and swung away and down from the phone line and then the groundie let it run down to the floor.

As you know, I have a limited quantity of rigging gear because I don't do big jobs, so it's a case of making the best of what I have, but given the scenario, what would you have done differently...?

Pre-tensioned.jpg.bf97b429bad8e54e4e3d015bbf4880a1.jpg

If you had your block much higher you could have lifted the branch to be cut, this would mean no fall to the phone line and it could have been lowered down past it. Not sure if your diagram is confusing the issue and without real pics its hard to say. Nobody hurt nothing broken, good job!

If you had your block much higher you could have lifted the branch to be cut, this would mean no fall to the phone line and it could have been lowered down past it. Not sure if your diagram is confusing the issue and without real pics its hard to say. Nobody hurt nothing broken, good job!

Cheers Paul. Ideally yes, I'd have gone far higher and balanced it out, but the fork I tied the pulley into was the highest 'sound' wood I could find [even that was a bit shaky to be honest].

Everything was horribly dead, else I would have shinned up the leaning limb and nibbled it off, but daren't go any higher than I did to tie it.... :001_smile:

Adam

Thanks Adam, i'm looking forward to the next installment :biggrin:

Simon that drawing is awesome haha, there PPE is a bit naff though! There naked :biggrin: I'll have a better read when I get home but from looking at Paul's quote I tend to agree with him :thumbup:

Surely I can't be the only one who cuts in the buff...? :confused1::001_tongue:

I agree with Paul as well, but as I say, I couldn't rig from any higher, it was all dead and splindly... I made it look more substantial in my work of art than it actually was... :001_tongue:

It cleared the line incidentally, it was tensioned enough to lift and fall gracefully away from the line. I guess a more technical rigger would have used balancer legs and perhaps a tag down to a ground anchor opposite to hold the limb in position and stop it swinging back in an uncontrolled way maybe.... although that would need more groundstaff too....

I reckon I probably did it in the most efficient and 'relatively' safe manner given what I had available, which is all we can do really.... :001_huh::thumbup1:

It seems to me WW that it relied on the hinge holding for a while which is a bit hit and miss, unless you had built up confidence in the wood from previous cuts.

I've done some dead eucs but can't remember, off hand, how well they held on the hinge.

In trying to think of an alternative, other than the obvious MEWP etc....would it have been less of a gamble to have just 'Snatched' it. Still a gamble though.