Beginners guide to rigging.......

Adam Bourne

thats a lot of faffing about for a little conny bashing!

half of its gone already, its worse than it looks the green house is like 7ft wide there was 2 ft behind the greenhouse then the customers fence and the tree was about 1 ft inside the neighbours garden and if i remember right i think there was a pond or something infront of the greenhouse so i remember it was the 2 ft gap the chucking zone wasnt worth it that zip line just tip tie everything and wizz it straight down the line to the chipper doesnt take long to set up the pulley in the birch was set from the ground so was retrevable from the ground saved loads of time.

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, remember that the redicrect is not just a redirect, its taking some of the load and so should not be too much smaller. Also it changes the direction of force on the main top pulley from a downward force to a sideways one.

Its is very often a good idea to put an identical redirect on the opposite side of the tree just to even this out a bit.

Good post Rupe....:thumbup1:

Haha, I'm going to do a bit of cheating here as Rupe has given one of his videos to use demonstrating how load sharing pulleys are set out,

There are several reason's for doing this, couple of the main reasons are adding more rope to any system helps function to reduce shock loads and dynamic forces, spreading anchors around the tree this way helps spread the loads taken by the main anchor and share it around the tree reducing the load from one spot. also as already stated the final anchor in the system can be placed away from the main stem creating a better landing zone for the piece being rigged down.

open crown trees with multiple stems rely on this more than a single stemmed tree but still can be achieved in both, its just set out different on single stemmed trees but not necessarily need .....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oevR56p_t5w&feature=plcp]Beech Rigging set up..wmv - YouTube[/ame]

Adam Bourne: Absolutely brilliant thread. Really a lot of credit to you for creating this. For someone like me who was taught the old school methods (3 strand-natural crotch-wrap around trunk) and has been out of the game for a few years, this thread acts as a nice refresher and a great learning tool.

The essence of the job will never change; trees being maintained or dismantled safely and efficiently. However, as I have said before, there is so much "kit" available now that it really can be quite confusing. I am unfamiliar as to what is taught now in colleges/arb courses, but I am glad I learned the old school "basics" as I believe this helps create a very solid foundation on which to build upon with the new techniques and kit.

So a genuine thank you to Adam Bourne for starting this thread. Excellent stuff. :001_smile:

Adam Bourne: Absolutely brilliant thread. Really a lot of credit to you for creating this. For someone like me who was taught the old school methods (3 strand-natural crotch-wrap around trunk) and has been out of the game for a few years, this thread acts as a nice refresher and a great learning tool.

The essence of the job will never change; trees being maintained or dismantled safely and efficiently. However, as I have said before, there is so much "kit" available now that it really can be quite confusing. I am unfamiliar as to what is taught now in colleges/arb courses, but I am glad I learned the old school "basics" as I believe this helps create a very solid foundation on which to build upon with the new techniques and kit.

So a genuine thank you to Adam Bourne for starting this thread. Excellent stuff. :001_smile:

Thanks Kingofthering glad i'm helping out.:thumbup1:

i'm going to do some more today and will cover, butt tieing, tip tieing, balancing and the introduction of the slings, Karabinas and a spidersling balancer.

Gibbon is getting some photos of tip tie lifting for me so we can show the real benifits of a pulley and tip ties together.......

until then hope you enjoy the rest.:001_smile:

I just realised i missed something out on my last post on multiple pulleys and load sharing, here is rupe's thread on the whole beech tree takedown from the video demo of setting out the pulleys, it explains a lot more about whats going on.......sorry rupe.....:blushing:

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/rigging-roping/13170-beech-take-down-2010-a.html

Adam Bourne: I'm new here, so not familiar with your work. Are you an instructor? If not, I think you would make a good teacher judging from your posts and enthusiasm to share knowledge.

I'll look forward to the other posts. It's helping to refresh my memory and is teaching me a few new things.

Cheers mate :001_smile:

Adam Bourne: I'm new here, so not familiar with your work. Are you an instructor? If not, I think you would make a good teacher judging from your posts and enthusiasm to share knowledge.

I'll look forward to the other posts. It's helping to refresh my memory and is teaching me a few new things.

Cheers mate :001_smile:

No i'm not an instructor mate but was kinda hoping to go down that road soon.

its always hard making a post pictorially and trying to make it easy to understand, so everytime i always look just to make sure if i was learning would i understand it??.

it's so much easier being shown practically as you may well know.

giving an insight in to rigging this way allows me and others to show how simple rigging techniques can be used, being a guide also allows us to adapt and show advanced techniques and/or share views and experiences and how to cope with certain scenarios,

i love rigging and learning new things about the subject is never ending, and the thing i love most about it is, it can be as simple as you want it to be or as advanced and gear intensive as it should be....:sneaky2::biggrin:

Edited by Adam Bourne

I'm currently working as an instructor at a university abroad, but am returning to the UK due to ill health in the family.

Whenever I try and teach something, I do the same as you...I ask..."Would I understand this? Do I understand this?" I've seen lots of people teach things and it gets complicated, boring, confusing, and ultimately loses everyone's attention and focus. I've found that keeping things simple, taking small steps building upon previous knowledge learnt is the key to having a successful lesson/learning environment.

You have lots of subject knowledge, you look at stuff from the learners perspective, plus have lots of enthusiasm. All key to being a great teacher.

Keep up the good work and credit where credit is due. :001_smile:

I just realised i missed something out on my last post on multiple pulleys and load sharing, here is rupe's thread on the whole beech tree takedown from the video demo of setting out the pulleys, it explains a lot more about whats going on.......sorry rupe.....:blushing:

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/rigging-roping/13170-beech-take-down-2010-a.html

Thats ok, you dont have to reference my thread but it might be useful. Its probably my best so far in terms of taking time to explain things.