Starter motors!

33bk

Was out working today, and my starter motor started to make a funny clunking/ grinding noise not a clicking noise (which is solenoids I think ) it was like it was wasn't staying up on the fly wheel ,

I got mate who I know can fix it but hes away for a week , just want to find out wether I'll break anything else with the old one in there .

I got a new one but I don't really want to spend £390 ! !

Any help and advice appreciated

Cheers bk

Your description sounds like a ring gear problem. Engines tend to always stop in the same place so just one small area of the gear gets most of the wear.

Try turning the engine over a few degrees by hand then keying the starter, if it engages ok that would tend to confirm gear tooth wear but will get you out of trouble until you can get the starter off and investigate fully.

Of course it might just be the pinion teeth worn back in which case a new starter will do the trick.

Good luck with it,

Ashtree.

Your description sounds like a ring gear problem. Engines tend to always stop in the same place so just one small area of the gear gets most of the wear.

Try turning the engine over a few degrees by hand then keying the starter, if it engages ok that would tend to confirm gear tooth wear but will get you out of trouble until you can get the starter off and investigate fully.

Of course it might just be the pinion teeth worn back in which case a new starter will do the trick.

Good luck with it,

Ashtree.

I agree with that. Put the vehicle on the flat, engage first gear and shove the vehicle forward a years or so to move the ring gear round. If the rattle persists its likely to be the starter, if it goes away the ring gear is the suspect.

It's likely to be the starter but when you take that out you should be able to get a peek at the ring gear to make sure its not damaged.