monster beech

testcricket01

unfortunatly the side these limbs have been sheding is right next to the wall for the garden and that runs along a main road so if it goes it will completely block that road and hit a couple of houses and make a right mess of the tarmac but i reackon it will out live us all its a very cool tree :thumbup1:

if there are targets of that calibre you MUST have this tree properly assessed, its critical.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it will fail eventually either at a junction of major limbs where the fibres lay in alternate paths or as the union between the two stems is erroded from within, this union failure would see it fall toward camera front half and onto grass area behind for back stem.

you either have Ganoderma pfeifferi or australe, i suspect australe

if this was my tree I would be doing a heavy style reduction= 30% minimum for retrenchment phased pollarding.

this isnt my job i said to gareth whos job it was the work people have done on it in the past has done it no favours they have lions tailed every limb which would make reduceing it hard much harder but i think they owners are very safety consious they had previous tree surgeons in to just climb up there massive cedars to check for signs of stress etc its down to gareth to tell them what he thinks i told him it needs reducing really.

this isnt my job i said to gareth whos job it was the work people have done on it in the past has done it no favours they have lions tailed every limb which would make reduceing it hard much harder but i think they owners are very safety consious they had previous tree surgeons in to just climb up there massive cedars to check for signs of stress etc its down to gareth to tell them what he thinks i told him it needs reducing really.

You can tell him I have your back regarding the reduction remarks! and stress it with them, i know what I am talking about, this is my area of expertise!:001_smile:

if this was my tree I would be doing a heavy style reduction= 30% minimum for retrenchment phased pollarding.

If there are the targets and the vigour is there then yeah i,d go with that.

We manage several trees in a similar condition, and i,ve worked on several trees in that condition which have been heavily pruned by 30% most of the time the next work is a fell. Its a very hit and miss affair sometimes the stress of the reduction can accelerate its decline so should never be taken lightly, I always prefer a much more gentle approach its a peculiar balance sometimes.

You could have shared the loading at the rigging point by using a 2nd block at an appropriate angle elswhere in the crown. The decayed limb would have a much reduced force.

Like Pete says, straight across to the main stem, then you got nothing to worry about, minutes thats all....that lever would also then work as it should if the line entered from directly above, and not off to the side as you have it.

Worse still, why isn't that ratchet backed up with a choker? as is in the manual, on the video and like I've emphasised many times here. Not so long back there was a similar such incident reported here about a serious accident in Austrailia where a guy was hospitalised using a strap that slipped on a similar LD....and of course theres been several photos posted on other forums over the years of Hobbs and GRCS greeting the climber up the tree.

The choker facility is there for your protection, and again only minutes to set-up. Sorry to sound so critical James, but this is serious stuff and you ought to know better.

Doesn't matter how many times you get away with something in the past.... you get unlucky, once, and its a potential life changer in/for many ways and people other than just the guy who set up the rigging.

Nice tree

Like Pete says, straight across to the main stem, then you got nothing to worry about, minutes thats all....that lever would also then work as it should if the line entered from directly above, and not off to the side as you have it.

Worse still, why isn't that ratchet backed up with a choker? as is in the manual, on the video and like I've emphasised many times here. Not so long back there was a similar such incident reported here about a serious accident in Austrailia where a guy was hospitalised using a strap that slipped on a similar LD....and of course theres been several photos posted on other forums over the years of Hobbs and GRCS greeting the climber up the tree.

The choker facility is there for your protection, and again only minutes to set-up. Sorry to sound so critical James, but this is serious stuff and you ought to know better.

Doesn't matter how many times you get away with something in the past.... you get unlucky, once, and its a potential life changer in/for many ways and people other than just the guy who set up the rigging.

Nice tree

thats a good post reg its no excuse i no but i turned upto this job hadnt seen it i was just told it was a snapped off branch, i only had limited gear with me i needed the big strop to attach the pulley leaving me nothing that i could use to back up the device. no excuse i no but job needed to get done.

thats a good post reg its no excuse i no but i turned upto this job hadnt seen it i was just told it was a snapped off branch, i only had limited gear with me i needed the big strop to attach the pulley leaving me nothing that i could use to back up the device. no excuse i no but job needed to get done.

your wife needs you to get home at night too:001_rolleyes: