Engine gone crazy on my Ryobi

ATC1983

Ok, so I've been getting a few jobs in and things have been going fine, except today I had to abandon a job half way through as when using my mower attachment my Ryobi engine started roaring like crazy, before spluttering and dying.

Could this be overheating? Or could the air filer be jammed up?

I initially tried doing the lady's garden with hand shears but it was taking too long - incredulously I'm going off to buy a mechanical mower and just finish the job in the old fashioned way. Even a small petrol mower would be better than this attachment lark.

I think the most likely cause is the carburettor coming loose from the block ( or the insulator)

When this happens they run weak, therefore fast, before dying, hopefully for good, as after all its a Ryobi.

Certainly not a machine for pro-use.

Yeah - it's been running fine every time before, it's like the engine was heating up and revving to its normal level then it just started revving like crazy.

Going to get a mechanical mower - whenever I use the ryobi power head mower it takes a while, even when the power tool has been on for a good 15/20 minutes strimming, to get it up to full speed and cutting fast. It would be so much easier just to have got a cheap petrol strimmer and a mechanical mower, which has the added advantage of having a colllector also.

Ok, so I've been getting a few jobs in and things have been going fine, except today I had to abandon a job half way through as when using my mower attachment my Ryobi engine started roaring like crazy, before spluttering and dying.

Could this be overheating? Or could the air filer be jammed up?

I initially tried doing the lady's garden with hand shears but it was taking too long - incredulously I'm going off to buy a mechanical mower and just finish the job in the old fashioned way. Even a small petrol mower would be better than this attachment lark.

You can't cut a lawn professionally with a strimmer. For a start, it doesn't look good to the customer and passers by. And you can't do stripes. And you can't pick up clippings properly (which most domestic customers want). And you stand a very high chance of eventually smashing a window or hitting someone with a stone, or covering yourself in fox sh1t! Get a mower. Bin the Ryobi and get a decent strimmer for the times you need it (edges etc).

As for the Ryobi - sounds like it's running too lean. Probably fuel starvation. If it was a blocked air filter then it would just choke itself.

This is my problem - I've got a decent, big mower, but it's not conducive to doing small lawns round people's sides and backs. I don't intend to strim the grass - just to get overgrown gardens down to a manageable size, before mowing them. I was using the ryobi clip on strimmer, then changing to the mower once I'd cut an overgrown lawn down to size then done the sides growth.

I think I really just have to use the strimmer now, and a mechanical cutter which won't be too bad - it's the same type of effort, as the attachment mower took a while to get up to speed anyway.

Bringing the larger petrol mower onto jobs simply isn't efficient as although it's good it can't be manouevred round gates, and it's a nightmare to turn without lifting it up.

This is my problem - I've got a decent, big mower, but it's not conducive to doing small lawns round people's sides and backs. I don't intend to strim the grass - just to get overgrown gardens down to a manageable size, before mowing them. I was using the ryobi clip on strimmer, then changing to the mower once I'd cut an overgrown lawn down to size then done the sides growth.

I think I really just have to use the strimmer now, and a mechanical cutter which won't be too bad - it's the same type of effort, as the attachment mower took a while to get up to speed anyway.

Bringing the larger petrol mower onto jobs simply isn't efficient as although it's good it can't be manouevred round gates, and it's a nightmare to turn without lifting it up.

I would suggest starting a Kit replacement fund ASAP, you will continue to be plagued with problems like the one you are presently having as long as you continue to use home owner junk to earning a living:sneaky2:

If you choose to be professional at least buy the proper kit and work smarter

not harder:thumbup1:

easy-lift guy