Husqvarna 51 low power... I think.

Hoggin

Hi

First post from a noob and I'm looking for chainsaw related advice.

I have recently acquired an old Husky 51. I know nothing of the history of the saw other than it is about ten years old and was supplied by, or at least serviced by, Mike's Small Engine Services. LaPorte, Indiana. It seems to be in generally good nick for its age. It starts easily and runs well. However, it cuts slow and really doesn't seem to have the oomph I was expecting form a 51cc saw.

As a bit of background, I'm a home user and I'm comparing it to the other saws I own, an Aldi Chinese takeaway and a Makita electric saw (the bigger one.) The Aldi saw is 42cc and is a lot more lively than the Husky and the Makita isn't far behind.

The trouble is that I've never used a Husky 51 before so I don't know if it is broken or if they are all like that.

Any ideas?

The old Husky 51 is never going to be a ripper but is still a competant saw for a bit of firewood.

Power drop off may be down to a number of things, low compression, poor carb set up, dirty air filter/fuel filter, crap in the carb or just carboned up exhaust ports.

It should keep up with the Aldi tat OK - and will definitely last longer!

The exhaust ports are ok and I've done a simple dangle test to check the compression. The rate of drop is comparable to the Aldi tat. I think I may need to dig out my compression tester. I'm tempted to swap the 45mm piston and cylinder for a 46mm combo off the 55.

One thing that did occur to me is that it is running a 20" bar. Maybe the extra friction is slowing down?

Spuds the man for tech saw stuff...but i can definetly tell you that saw shouldnt be running a 20" bar. 18" tops, but it will run at its optimum on a 15"

I did wonder, although the operator's manual that came with it does list 20" as an approved length for that saw. I reckon the bar may be the original too.

I did wonder, although the operator's manual that came with it does list 20" as an approved length for that saw. I reckon the bar may be the original too.

Its more a case of just because you could, doesnt mean you should.

That is just my opinion though at the end of the day, theres probably plenty people who will tell you otherwise :)

20":001_rolleyes: A very rough rule on max bar length is 1/3 the cc capacity of the engine so a 60cc will be 20".

In reality, we all like our saws to rip and be well balanced so a 15" on your saw will be nice, 17" at a push but it will cut slower, 20" will be pedestrian!

Chain type can also make a difference - you may find a 1.3mm narrower kerf chain will work better - the Oregon 95VXP is very fast chain!

20":001_rolleyes: A very rough rule on max bar length is 1/3 the cc capacity of the engine so a 60cc will be 20".

In reality, we all like our saws to rip and be well balanced so a 15" on your saw will be nice, 17" at a push but it will cut slower, 20" will be pedestrian!

Chain type can also make a difference - you may find a 1.3mm narrower kerf chain will work better - the Oregon 95VXP is very fast chain!

Pedestrian is probably the best way of describing it!

The Aldi tat is running a 16" Oregon 95 chain and it is quick. I think I'll try swapping the Husky bar for a 15" and see how it goes. I only occasionally need anything longer.

Cheers.